When were 1024 textures enabled?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know I was very young and I remember getting some 1024 textures on a hunt and thought "oh my". Back then most things were 512s with some 256 and some even smaller (older rules I think).    The ones that I remember getting LONG ago that I still have are dated 2017. I know that's not the actual date I got those.  Maybe I lost them and uploaded them back from Opensim?  Not sure.  But I am thinking it must have at LEAST been a decadee ago and more like 12 years.

Does anyone remember or have a texture that they made and upload in that "my first 1024 texture" type of event LOL?  

Thanks. Project I am thinking about.  Appreciate any help. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

7 hours ago, Candide LeMay said:

I'm inclined to believe it was there from the beginning?

Me too. Since there are even a couple of 2048x2048 around from the early days.
Increased was the size from 512 to 1024 for avatar bakes with BoM.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, Candide LeMay said:

I'm inclined to believe it was there from the beginning?

It must have been very early at least. An old-timer once mentioned at a different forum how he had attended a building class and been chewed out by Eric Linden for using a 1024 on a house. So they must have been around even back when LL were holding their own building classes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It must have been very early at least. An old-timer once mentioned at a different forum how he had attended a building class and been chewed out by Eric Linden for using a 1024 on a house.

From the SL Wiki - Texture Usage

" Reducing the number of textures you are using on your land is also a great way to reduce the load time. If you have 3 or 4 main 512 x 512 textures on your land for the main build, and then use smaller sized textures for the detail on smaller objects, this would also make the texture load extremely efficient.

You should rarely ever use 1024 x 1024 sized textures. Try to avoid using this size as much as possible. "

How times have changed  ! 🙂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.