What is going on?

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the second time in as many weeks my home region has restarted twice in 12 hours, neither of them initiated by myself (I am the sole estate manager for the region) and not a whisper from LL.

So I ask:  What is going on?

Since there has been no announcement of a Rolling Restart schedule for this week, I must assume that the server version rolled to the RC channels last Wednesday is not being promoted.  So what is happening to Main Server channel?  Has the Grid-poking Bot been on the rampage again?

I know (I was told) that a restart to individual regions on a sim-server does not affect the others sharing that host, so this must have been a host restart.  Why?

ETA 12:20pm PDT:  OK so I was wrong...the second restart updated the server version to 558586 so that's correct now.

Edited by Aishagain
clarification

I've also seen two restarts this morning. I think you have to just sigh and accept it in the basis of one, some or all of

1) It's their service, they're doing what they feel is necessary

2) It's better having such restarts than not, (remember the failure of the grid-poking bot?)

3) Possibly they're short-staffed over the May-day weekend and the announcements got missed.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I now have evidence that not only are the regions crashing, but are at least sometimes rolling back. Look at these entries from my chat log:

[08:05] GWS Server V2.40: "MARVIL PLATFORM" reports "Joebob Nootan" has left.
[08:40] GWS Server V2.40: "MARVIL PLATFORM" reports "Joebob Nootan" has left.
[08:40] GWS Server V2.40: The scripts in this server stopped running 0 hours, 1 minutes, and 5 seconds ago, but are running again as of now. Possible causes: Sim was restarted, Scripts were turned off, or SL was down.

Notice the 35 minutes between the 2 notices that my bot had left. Also notice that the second notification came at the same time or immediately after the region crashed. The only way the second notification would have been sent is if the region restarted from a previous state, one from at least 35 minutes earlier when my bot was still present.

So I reaffirm my opinion that these are not restarts, but are in fact crashes.

Edited by M Peccable

My sim crashed about a week ago, first time I've seen my sim crash actually, there were 8 of us we weren't doing anything special just sitting chatting, and then suddenly we were all disconnected without warning. The sim continued to show online on the world map, but if you tried to teleport into it, it would time out.

There does seem to be a bit more strangeness around at the moment. Yesterday the region where I have my biggest parcel threw up the "Unable to create object that has caused problems in this region" error, and showed the physics memory up at 935+ MB. I haven't seen this in nearly four years, and the region in question is so quiet and lightly-populated that there is no obvious reason why it should suddenly have got that bogged. It had been restarted (unexpectedly) a week ago so it can't be that it's been left running for too long.

Possibly time for me to turn up at the Simulator User group meeting and ask why the increase in Quark, Strangeness and Charm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.