Terraforming

Starr Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Starr Ghost said:

Just bought some land which is nice but there is this huge hill ~ are you able to flatten the land or does it stay as is ~ seems when i use the bulldozer it really doesnt do anything ~ land is on mainland 

most mainland has a +4 /- 4 range .. so if you have a huge hill, it's there to stay.

• Moles

That is correct. Most Mainland can only be terraformed +/- 4m from the original level it was "baked" at when it was created. The only way to smooth it would be to raise the land around that spot if you can. Once the terrain reaches it's limit it won't move any further. By using the Revert tool in the terrain editing window you can see what the starting point is for the land that you have to work with. 

• Like 2

Instead of using the bulldozer, just use the radio buttons for 'Raise', 'Lower' and 'Flatten' and then using the 'Apply' button will terraform the whole parcel. That way you can find the level that gives you the biggest possible area of flatness. Try it and you'll see what I mean

• Like 1

Alternatively create a prim, texture it with bricks and drag it to the size you want as a foundation and stick what you are wanting on top of it. That way you can build on the flat prim surface without needing to terraform beyond what the parcel will allow. If you want to be fancy you texture a flatter prim as wooden beams and put prims underneath to support it from the ground. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

Alternatively create a prim, texture it with bricks and drag it to the size you want as a foundation and stick what you are wanting on top of it. That way you can build on the flat prim surface without needing to terraform beyond what the parcel will allow. If you want to be fancy you texture a flatter prim as wooden beams and put prims underneath to support it from the ground. 

That's what I usually do when I encounter this issue.  Alternately, I'll put up a warning sign about an earthquake zone, as the unstable land usually makes my avis bounce a bit or get stuck.  One time I even added lava, claiming the fissures were from pixelated tectonic plates scrapping against each other at the region border;  I've usually encountered this issue on land adjacent to a region border.

======================WHOOPS!!=================================

Thought I was in THIS thread:

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
Wrong Thr3ad Err0r -- Duz Kn0t C0mput

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.