HOW MARKETPLACE ITEMS GET ON TOP OF RELEVANCE

thalpmg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, thalpmg said:

Thank you for your answer, so you 're telling me that when i have a lot of people buying my items they become more relevant at the top of the pages, so the fact that they would just click to open my item's page is not enough  for that ? 

Page Views or clicking as you call it may have a small impact on relevance, BUT in my experience, page views can detect if it's the same person clicking the page. So, if the same person views the page 100 times, it will only count as one view.

• Like 1

You can analyze the reports on your merchant home, and use that info to your advantage. Look at you top searched products. Why is your #1 product the top searched? Did you use more relevant keywords? Did you list a trending product? Did you categorize it more specifically than the others? Pick your info provided apart and study the trends :) You're definitely asking the right questions if your serious about making a little ching ching lol. I use the reports offered on the Merchants Home section daily to view trends when pertaining to my products.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Greetings all!

Relevance is a matrix of bits and parts of the whole.

The better and more appropriate your keywords and name of the item, the greater the chance that the item will be shown in specific Searches on the Marketplace. If you spam the listing with keywords that have nothing to do with the item, your item will slowly degrade in search returns when viewing by Relevance since the keywords are not relevant to the item being sold in the listing. 

Sales also contributes to Relevance, but it is weighted counter.  Generally if a buyer searches for an item, then clicks on your item, and then buys the item, the Relevance will increase on the listing.  

What this means is if you include a lot of junk keyword spam in your listing and your listing shows up on searches that have nothing to do with the item, and your item is not purchased, its Relevance will go down over time and future searches will result in the listing being shown lower down/further back in the returns. 

ALWAYS keep the keywords on your listing, including the ones in non English languages, as relevant and on point as possible. 

Cost also has a minor impact.  The lower the cost, the more times the item needs to appear in search returns and the more times the item needs to be purchased to help increase its Relevance. 

Make sure the item listing for your product is in the most appropriate sub-category for the item.  If the item is a pair of Women's Jeans, placing the item listing in the Women's Bottoms category, but not the Women's Jeans sub-category, can impact its Relevance, not to mention if someone is looking in the Women's Jeans sub-category for an item, your item will not be shown. 

There are other metrics involved that are in the system designed to even out everything based on over time, not just one day impacts, that are known only to those who built and maintain the system. 

Essentially, the better your keywords are, the more times it will show up in appropriate searches, the less times it will show up as a result of keyword spam, and the greater the chance of your item being sold.  Over time the Relevance on your item will increase (or decrease).

This keeps the system from having wild fluctuations. So if an item sold well today, but not tomorrow, it wouldn't automatically be at the top of the list of items the next day.  This also means that if an item isn't selling well this week for a merchant, their item wont suddenly end up at the bottom of the list either.  The system evens everything out a bit to keep those big changes from happening.  

The biggest thing it to make sure your product has good pictures, a good name, appropriate keywords, a good item description in all languages, and it is in the correct sub-category. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ok i've just read all that and it doesn't answer my question. when i sell something, this item  get on top of the searches by people purchasing a lot  this item or by people clicking  a lot on this item ? 

I'm an e-Comm marketing manager in RL. I can tell you how it works for websites I manage. One factor may be how the MP customer sorts their results (ie relevance, newest, highest rated, etc). It defaults to relevance. So, I'm guessing that would mean how relevant the keywords are. Then sales would probably come into play (only on the relevance sort). 

So if someone searched for "boat," the results that would be displayed are those that have the word "boat" in the title or keywords. It's crucial you utilize the keywords on the edit item listing page. Although I've seen tons of people abuse that. They'll be selling a tree and put the word boat in their keywords just to show up in the results. That sucks for customers because they get irrelevant results.

Another thing to consider is to categorize your product correctly and as specifically as possible. The category probably factors into the algorithm as well. So, if the customer searches "boat" and there is a category for boats and your product is categorized there, that's another level of relevance that will play to your advantage. 

Keywords and categories are key :) If you struggle with keywords, I suggest using Google Adwords - keyword planner to try to give you ideas on search trends: https://ads.google.com/home/tools/keyword-planner/ . Second Life does not give you access to search trends on their site. I just asked that question in a meeting with a Linden a couple of days ago.

Hope this info helps. I'm only telling you from the perspective of my RL work. Second Life may have a different algorithm to determine how their results are displayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, faith Jolifaunt said:

I'm an e-Comm marketing manager in RL. I can tell you how it works for websites I manage. One factor may be how the MP customer sorts their results (ie relevance, newest, highest rated, etc). It defaults to relevance. So, I'm guessing that would mean how relevant the keywords are. Then sales would probably come into play (only on the relevance sort). 

So if someone searched for "boat," the results that would be displayed are those that have the word "boat" in the title or keywords. It's crucial you utilize the keywords on the edit item listing page. Although I've seen tons of people abuse that. They'll be selling a tree and put the word boat in their keywords just to show up in the results. That sucks for customers because they get irrelevant results.

Another thing to consider is to categorize your product correctly and as specifically as possible. The category probably factors into the algorithm as well. So, if the customer searches "boat" and there is a category for boats and your product is categorized there, that's another level of relevance that will play to your advantage. 

Keywords and categories are key :) If you struggle with keywords, I suggest using Google Adwords - keyword planner to try to give you ideas on search trends: https://ads.google.com/home/tools/keyword-planner/ . Second Life does not give you access to search trends on their site. I just asked that question in a meeting with a Linden a couple of days ago.

Hope this info helps. I'm only telling you from the perspective of my RL work. Second Life may have a different algorithm to determine how their results are displayed.

Thank you for your answer, so you 're telling me that when i have a lot of people buying my items they become more relevant at the top of the pages, so the fact that they would just click to open my item's page is not enough  for that ? 

4 minutes ago, thalpmg said:

No, you can't keep opening your own page to raise your relevance.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.