Downgrading to basic membership - giving up land

Daisy2179

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there

I have decided not to renew my premium membership. I tried to downgrade it to basic but it says ' Basic users may not contribute land to groups. You must delete the tier contributions you made to groups which you belong before downgrading to the Basic Plan'. 

Any ideas how I do this? I have cleared off my parcel but do I need to abandon the land or sell? Anything else I need to consider?

1 minute ago, Daisy2179 said:

Hi there

I have decided not to renew my premium membership. I tried to downgrade it to basic but it says ' Basic users may not contribute land to groups. You must delete the tier contributions you made to groups which you belong before downgrading to the Basic Plan'. 

Any ideas how I do this? I have cleared off my parcel but do I need to abandon the land or sell? Anything else I need to consider?

at the moment of downgrading you can not own land, or have tier donated to a group. You can check that at your groups or landholding.
As soon the downgrade is activated, you cán use the free level of tier as donation again for the time left. ( dont ask me why this is that way)

rented land is no problem.

• Like 1

Hi Alwin, 

Thank you. I appreciate I could not hold or own land when I downgrade to basic but it says I need to delete my tier contributions. Do you know where I do this in the group detail and if i have to abandon the land?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daisy2179 said:

Hi Alwin, 

Thank you. I appreciate I could not hold or own land when I downgrade to basic but it says I need to delete my tier contributions. Do you know where I do this in the group detail and if i have to abandon the land?

accountpage / landmanager/ groupland

• Like 1

For each group you've donated tier to, delete the tier.  To do so, get into Second Life THE GAME via your viewer, Then People > Groups > Land.  Enter "0" in the box, press save.  Repeat for each group you've donated tier to.  Then go to THE WEBSITE to switch to Basic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

For each group you've donated tier to, delete the tier.  To do so, get into Second Life THE GAME via your viewer, Then People > Groups > Land.  Enter "0" in the box, press save.  Repeat for each group you've donated tier to.  Then go to THE WEBSITE to switch to Basic.

Yes, this. Here is a snip to show you the box and how it should look before you click SAVE to clear out your contribution: 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.19.39 AM.png

• Like 2

My understanding is that there is a grace period after a group's tier falls too low to cover its landholding, so, if you wanted to, you should be able to withdraw your tier donation, downgrade your membership, and then donate your 1024 sq m again until it disappears at the end of your premioum membership's term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

My understanding is that there is a grace period after a group's tier falls too low to cover its landholding, so, if you wanted to, you should be able to withdraw your tier donation, downgrade your membership, and then donate your 1024 sq m again until it disappears at the end of your premioum membership's term.

You are correct, in that group owned land gets a bit of grace period for being negative on needed tier.  However, the person won't be able to donate tier again once they are in the Downgrade Pending status.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:
25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, the person won't be able to donate tier again once they are in the Downgrade Pending status.

yes they are

I tried that once and couldn't -- I actually goofed and logged the wrong alt in to add tier to a group.  Must have been a glitch or LL changed something at one point.

So does the tier donation then just automatically disappear when the Downgrade finally happens?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

or LL changed something at one point.

that is of course possible, after this came up in other threads (quite a while ago) i would think it wasn't intended to be possible. I didn't actually check it recently.

I never tried it till the end,  if it would go automatic and forget it, entering a locked or for sale parcel never attrackted me :)  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.