SL Viewer become so SLOW motion!

Swelm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

this morning suddenly happen when i logged in.. everything became slow .. so way slow.. even the menu of the viewer and tabs.. writhing on a chatbox all happen in slow motion.. i have been using SL for more than a weak..was so easy going..  my connection & hardware "graphic card' are more than good and serve me for hardcore gaming.. so WHATS GOIN ON??

Welcome to Second Life and Second Life Forums, Swelm. You would possibly be surprised to find out that Second Life is very heavy on graphics cards, more so than with regular "hardcore" gaming.

It would help if you could post your computer's specifications here to enable the folks of these forums to give you some further, more specific advice.

if suddenly things are different, then something has changed... could be the region you are in is having problems, could be congestion or ISP problems, could be you are running something different on your computer (like a scheduled virus scan)...

the first you can check by going to different regions, the second you can check by doing an online linespeed and ping test, and the third you should easily be able to see by looking at your running programs.

I have the same problem today.

Can´t log in with my main ava with Viewer 2, but when I log in with my alt it works very well and fast.:-(

Then I tried to log in with Phoenix...also works.

But I don´t like this viewer so I tried again with Viewer 2 but no change...every time crash...crash...crash...

I also tried different landmarks but not a single one I arrived.

But tell me, why does not have my alt these problems at all?

I don´t understand that.

To add a little to Void's very good response.  Do two more things.........both are simple and solve many problems people encounter when using SL.

First clear your cache.  I'm assuming you are using Viewer 2 (the default SL veiwer supplied by Linden Lab).  Under the "Me" menu click "Preferences", then on the "Setup" tab look at the "Cache location" and click the "Reset" button.  Okay out of the information dialog box and "Quit" SL.

The second suggestion is to reset your modem and router.  You can do this when you clear your cache since you are already logged out.  Shut down your computer and unplug your modem and router from their electrical source and leave unplugged for 3 to 5 minutes.  Plug the devices back in and wait for the lights to settle to their normal routine (about 30 seconds) then try SL again.

If everything fails to clear your problem then Marigold's advice is next........we need some information about your computer and how you connect to the Internet.  To get the basic information needed, the easiest way is to launch the viewer (you don't need to log in).  Under the "Help" menu click "About Second Life".  You'll see the basic specs for your computer as reported by your viewer to the LL servers.  Copy those specs and paste back here.  And tell us how you connect to the Internet.........cable, DSL or T1.  What your connection speed is and if you are connecting wirelessly or Ethernet.

Hope it all this gets it sorted for you.  If not, someone here can help.........but we will need information so we are not "shooting in the dark".

I read your other post, and just don't understand how you have so many problems with SL. SL runs really well for me with a mediocre graphics card and Windows Vista system, average internet speed.

For sure SL is buggy, and we have better weeks than others, but considering the fact that LL are constantly having to modify a running program, to take into consideration the ever-changing user created content etc., it's going to have hiccups sometimes.

And as you don't know what computer the OP is running SL on, you cannot be absolutely certain their issue has nothing to do with the computer it's running on.

Just saying.

I got to agree with Marigold.  Seems you are one of a very few with such issues (probably the only one since I've never heard of anyone having 1 FPS for a half hour then suddenly get 70 FPS).

One thing I've noticed in the 5 years plus that I've been reading SL related forums (and attempting to help when I can) is that, without exception, the people who refuse to give complete computer specs, stating that their computer does not have any issues are the very people who just don't know what they are talking about.

If you can find any program delivered via the Internet that has real time 3D graphics rendered on the fly, content provided by the users (about 99% of the content, by the way), uses OpenGL rendering engine and is free to use, then you can compare.....since there are none out there, I would suggest you do some research before you accuse the software for all your problems.  The vast majority of users have acceptable performance on mediocre machines.......why not you?

Think about it.

Hello...can I ask something here please?

Why am I able to log in with my ava with the phoenix viewer but NOT with the Viewer 2???

I installed the viewer new but the same ...again crash at the start.

And I always clear my cache and modem also got a restart.

Isn´t that a sign that something is wrong with Viewer 2?

I could play with phoenix but I don´t like this viewer...I want Viewer 2 back.:-(((

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Hello...can I ask something here please?

Why am I able to log in with my ava with the phoenix viewer but NOT with the Viewer 2???

I installed the viewer new but the same ...again crash at the start.

And I always clear my cache and modem also got a restart.

If you are using a Mac you may be having problems - I have heard that from a few.  If not try downloading the Beta viewer from the official 'Downloads' page - that is a different, but perfectly good, version and downloads to a different directory so can work some times.

You linked to a post where you also gave no details about your rig. Even if your pc is capable of running those games you referred to, there could still be details in your setup affecting how well the SL viewer runs. Did you try a TPV to see if you get the same issues?

- Luc -

Well maybe this is the reason in my case....thanks for the tipp...cause I do not reboot my computer very often...most of the time it runs day and night cause a fríend told me this would be better than switch it on and off again and again...:-(

Hmm...so I better turn the computer off after playing at night..or?

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Well maybe this is the reason in my case....thanks for the tipp...cause I do not reboot my computer very often...most of the time it runs day and night cause a fríend told me this would be better than switch it on and off again and again...:-(

Hmm...so I better turn the computer off after playing at night..or?

This all depends on the age of your computer and your operating system - but especially if it is old or running Windows pre-Windows I would definitely advise rebooting it off every couple of days - and when you are not using it set it to hibernate - that way it won't be using power either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.