How to set a price for a script?

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have written a script I want to offer for sale on the Marketplace. There would be, I expect, a lot of demand for this script because it meets a need I see. There is nothing else like it available anywhere. The question is how to determine a fair price for it. I had thought of asking someone to appraise it, but I am concerned about giving away the idea to what would be, I expect, a skilled scripter. So what are other ways to determine a fair price?

Edited by agentronin

• agentronin changed the title to How to set a price for a script?

Nothing to stop someone from making a competing product right after yours and giving it away.

If there is no competing product in SL already, it's a fair possibility your perceived need is not that widespread.

Don't ask a scripter what it's worth. Ask a customer what they would pay.

• Like 8

Are you selling full permissions, or no-modify? one way to set your prices is to look at what similar products are selling for and sell for similar. Off the top of my head I'd say a no-modify stand alone script would go for about 500L.

• Like 2

suggest that you set your price according to the level of support you intend to provide. Most people who buy scripts need support, particularly for business/money

at this time, is not so much that it has a unique capability not found in other products. Is more about what you think your time is worth to support (and promote) your product.

• Like 1

How complex is the problem you're trying to solve? How robust is your solution? How much demand do you think there is? Who is your customer?

Like Coffee mentioned, being the first-to-market doesn't guarantee you any sales, let alone credit for the idea. Any "skilled scripter" can simply look at your product and completely recreate (or even improve) it to undercut you.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4

I think it depends time you spend on it.. What will you charge hourly scripting job.. and how much time you spend while creating your script (exclude lazy times :)).

Also you will probably have to offer support after sale so consider adding extra price for support or.. pre-include support cost to your product.

If you are worried about your script or idea gets copied create API-like script.. so user uses it like a API function. and they cant see the actual script content.. just a idea :)

You can take example from casper API you cant see script but you can use its APIs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.