Mars Rover Perseverance lands today!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I must admit...when the camera came on...I thought, "Oh, it would be nice if they had attached a colour camera"...I was hoping to see the surface in red!

But I know nothing about NASA rovers or space science, so maybe the camera has to be in black and white for the light? 

Especially impressive if some of the team were working from home! 

Here is a video of images from previous rovers in 4k.. They look really amazing..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Here is a video of images from previous rovers in 4k.. They look really amazing..

Oh, they're beautiful! ❤️ So stunning. It freaks me out a bit...I keep thinking, can it be real? It looks familiar but so magical and mysterious at the same time. 

I saw something a year ago on YT about another planet in a similar system to ours, with water, which might be populated...it does my head in imagining there might be actual people on that planet, doing things...I wonder if they spotted Earth and if someone there now is wondering whether we exist 😵

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh, they're beautiful! ❤️ So stunning. It freaks me out a bit...I keep thinking, can it be real? It looks familiar but so magical and mysterious at the same time. 

I saw something a year ago on YT about another planet in a similar system to ours, with water, which might be populated...it does my head in imagining there might be actual people on that planet, doing things...I wonder if they spotted Earth and if someone there now is wondering whether we exist 😵

When I see those other planets like that, I always wonder if there is life and what it is and at what stage are they in their evolution.. Also I think, just how perfect the conditions would have to be for us to even walk on it let alone be able to take off a space suit.. what microscopic things are there, viruses and so on..

I see the ones that are bigger than earth and think how much different the gravity has to be than ours..

It's like a big rabbit hole of thinking..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When I see those other planets like that, I always wonder if there is life and what it is and at what stage are they in their evolution.. Also I think, just how perfect the conditions would have to be for us to even walk on it let alone be able to take off a space suit.. what microscopic things are there, viruses and so on..

I see the ones that are bigger than earth and think how much different the gravity has to be than ours..

It's like a big rabbit hole of thinking..hehehe

Me too...it does my nut in, thinking about planets a billion years away...and when they say that most of the stars you see in the sky died thousands of years ago...:o 

It would probably be horrible living on Mars if you had to live inside a bubble and wear a spacesuit every time you went outside, because the air and viruses would kill you...I would also miss avocados :)

Edited by Rat Luv

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Me too...it does my nut in, thinking about planets a billion years away...and when they say that most of the stars you see in the sky died thousands of years ago...:o 

It would probably be horrible living on Mars if you had to live inside a bubble and wear a spacesuit every time you went outside, because the air and viruses would kill you...I would also miss avocados :)

Not counting the sun, the closest star's light, takes  4 1/4 years to reach us.. It's like 4.24 light years away..(ETA Fixing the part that was here because I was wrong)

For us to travel to the nearest star  would take just around 115k years.

Space is just so wild..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I do miss hearing from Curiosity Rover 8-/
But I don't think its worth getting back on twitter for Perseverance.
Twitter IS the Uranus of the social media universe after all.
(before FB went all nazi on Australia that is).

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Forgot to click heels for Suckerberg! \0_

I'm glad you explained that. I thought it was just the colour was too expensive or hard for them to do.

BTW if you want to make Mars in SL, there are some great inexpensive skyboxes and terrains. I made "Mars, Utah" on one sim in the sky and have made a more planet-like Mars with even the Rover, which is also on the MP.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.