Hair Cutting into/Clitching Eyebrows - Lelutka Evolution Head & BOM

Clarapatra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. A new resident still learning SL. I am trying to use all BOM as this appears to be more user friendly to those of us who haven't lived that applier life.

I have a Lelutka Lake 2.5 Evolution Head - BOM is on. My skin for head and body are all BOM with a no eyebrow option (Eudora Beauty, I think.) Right now, I'm using the eyebrows in my Lelutka HUD.

I use high quality Stealthic and Doux hairs and my eyebrows (and sometimes my lashes, depending on length) cut into my hair. I understand items hair, eyebrows, and lashes use opacity maps and blending that can make one another cancel out or sections disappear. Is there anyway with my BOM system to fix this or do I have to live with it? Perhaps I should buy BOM brows seperately? I have done a forum search but it seems like most questions are applier questions on older heads on non-BOM skins.

FYI: I've recently learned my computer is not ideal for every aspect of SL graphics, so I suppose this could be a rendering issue as well? Not sure. Pretty ignorant so far.

Please see the image below. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks so much - C 🦊

Image4.jpg

Your avatar is very pretty and unique. Yes, BOM eyebrows is the only way to fix that. I use some from Simple Bloom. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/215211

The lashes is worse to do something about. You can use the mask option in the HUD, but then the lashes look like they have mascara clumps. The only thing I do, is using shorter lashes. If the hair was modify, it could be set to masking. But I know these hairs are not modify. The hair will also lose the fine, delicate hairs with masking.

I have seen worse images than yours. It is a bit jagged in the edges, but as long as you can move free around in SL and don't experience lag or that textures do not load, but stay grey, you should do fine. You can always increase the graphics to high when you take pictures.

• Thanks 1

What you are describing is what happens when two alphas clash - it creates a transparency. Your best best like Marianne said is to wear shorter lashes and bakes on mesh brows in order limit your issues with your alpha hair. 

There are some  other alpha texture caveats as well:

1.  Applier makeup including HD make up are effected by the alpha glitch. Like your applier brows, hud-based make up with also have issues with your lashes and hair.

2. See-thru or thin-looking clothing often glitch with hair. The only way I've been able to work around this is to make sure my hair is either in an updo or arranged in a certain way where it is not laying across my chest or back. Magika , a really great hair brand also has refined their hair to work a lot better with this type of clothing.

3.  Alphas glow under projected lighting! It sounds cooler than it often looks. And I don't think you can see it unless you are a running advanced lighting, but others  who do will. The glowing often discolors your make up and looks out of place as the rest your avatar responds to the lighting correctly.  For this very reason, I save my hd makeup for pictures and wear mostly BOM make up at public events. BOM makeup/layers do not experience glitches with alphas or unnatural glow under projected lights as far as I am aware.

Edited by Laurel Aurelia
added
  • Thanks 1

As to your computer may be not being good for rendering a 3D world... no, that isn't it. This alpha layer conflict is a common problem in 3D worlds. Even the hottest computer with the most advanced graphics is likely to have the same problem. It is not you hardware. It is the render engine trying to solve a confusing mathematical algorithm and not getting it right.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Your avatar is very pretty and unique. Yes, BOM eyebrows is the only way to fix that. I use some from Simple Bloom. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/215211

The lashes is worse to do something about. You can use the mask option in the HUD, but then the lashes look like they have mascara clumps. The only thing I do, is using shorter lashes. If the hair was modify, it could be set to masking. But I know these hairs are not modify. The hair will also lose the fine, delicate hairs with masking.

I have seen worse images than yours. It is a bit jagged in the edges, but as long as you can move free around in SL and don't experience lag or that textures do not load, but stay grey, you should do fine. You can always increase the graphics to high when you take pictures.

Thanks you for both the eyebrow info and the Marketplace suggestion! I'll shop it out when I'm next on. C 🦊

7 hours ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

What you are describing is what happens when two alphas clash - it creates a transparency. Your best best like Marianne said is to wear shorter lashes and bakes on mesh brows in order limit your issues with your alpha hair. 

There are some  other alpha texture caveats as well:

1.  Applier makeup including HD make up are effected by the alpha glitch. Like your applier brows, hud-based make up with also have issues with your lashes and hair.

2. See-thru or thin-looking clothing often glitch with hair. The only way I've been able to work around this is to make sure my hair is either in an updo or arranged in a certain way where it is not laying across my chest or back. Magika , a really great hair brand also has refined their hair to work a lot better with this type of clothing.

3.  Alphas glow under projected lighting! It sounds cooler than it often looks. And I don't think you can see it unless you are a running advanced lighting, but others  who do will. The glowing often discolors your make up and looks out of place as the rest your avatar responds to the lighting correctly.  For this very reason, I save my hd makeup for pictures and wear mostly BOM make up at public events. BOM makeup/layers do not experience glitches with alphas or unnatural glow under projected lights as far as I am aware.

This is all very useful. I was a creator on IMVU for many years and "masking" issues (what we called opacity map issues) were common. You could see the maps cutting into lights are anything else that used the same sort of blending. Sometimes, if you had on all sheer things, you could look eyebrow-less and almost naked through a window.

I think I'll go look for some BOM eyeshadow and brows. And thanks for the hair creator suggestion, too! I'll need it.

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

As to your computer may be not being good for rendering a 3D world... no, that isn't it. This alpha layer conflict is a common problem in 3D worlds. Even the hottest computer with the most advanced graphics is likely to have the same problem. It is not you hardware. It is the render engine trying to solve a confusing mathematical algorithm and not getting it right.

Okay, I am glad this is just an in-world thing. I can add that to my mental notes. Thank you so much!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.