Shape results

conilmionome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can someone help me to solve an old doubt?

Before putting the shape that is generally found in skin of good quality, do you have to start with the default one in the head anyway? ( Default Skyler Shape, for example )

Or by immediately inserting the shape of the skin you get the same result?

Thanks all

The shape that comes with a skin is going to be more about a shape that is likely suitable for a particular brand of body.   Your preferred body shape - specifically the body, torso and legs section of the shape - will most likely work with any mesh head that you might wear on that body.   The shape that comes with a skin most likely is not going to necessarily be the best shape for a mesh head, as mesh head shapes tend to need to be specific for a specific mesh head.

However, the default shape that comes with a specific mesh head is the best shape to use as a starting point for that mesh head, and it is not likely that the shape you create for one mesh head will work fine as is for a different mesh head. 

What I do is write down all the body, torso and leg numbers for my preferred body shape.  When I get a new mesh head I make a copy of the default mesh head shape, and then wear that copy.  I then edit that default head shape copy and enter my preferred body numbers for body, torso and leg numbers, then I edit all the head related parts of the shape, and save the final result as my shape for that head/body combination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The SL system offers no simple way to combine shapes. Moira's technique to copy values is likely how most people combine shapes. If you are a bit braver and have multiple bodies or shapes you want to use the head with... then I think there is an easier way.

It is possible to combine shapes but it takes some effort outside SL. I use Firestorm to manage my shape mixing. Firestorm will let you export and import shapes. The exported shape has to be full perm, as most head shapes are. Purchased body shapes are usually no-mod. Shapes that come with a body or skin are often full perm. Wear the head shape you want. Body does not matter at this point. Export the shape. Use Developer (press Ctrl-Alt-Q to add/remove to the top menu)->Avatar->Character Tests->Appearance to XML. It exports as an XML file. It can be edited in a simple text editor. I suggest Notepad++ a free open-source editor. It has some XML editing features. You likely won’t need them. But they are nice if you want to do more than delete rows, like tweak the shape values.

XML files are human readable text files with a consistent format a machine can read.

To edit a shape file for the purpose of combining shapes one simply deletes an entire row/line of text to eliminate a setting. The name of the setting in a row is like the name in the viewer’s shape editing panel. For a head shape we remove all the settings-rows that are not head-shape settings. There are non-settings-rows that make up the file's structure. Those have to stay.

Once you have the edited head shape file saved, open Firestorm. Wear the body shape you want. Right-click your avatar and select Edit Shape. Notice the IMPORT button at the bottom. Click it to import the settings for the head from your edited file. Save and rename the shape.

Done.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Oops
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The SL system offers no simple way to combine shapes. Moira's technique to copy values is likely how most people combine shapes. If you are a bit braver and have multiple bodies or shapes you want to use the head with... then I think there is an easier way.

It is possible to combine shapes but it takes some effort outside SL. I use Firestorm to manage my shape mixing. Firestorm will let you export and import shapes. The exported shape has to be full perm, as most head shapes are. Purchased body shapes are usually no-mod. Shapes that come with a body or skin are often full perm. Wear the head shape you want. Body does not matter at this point. Export the shape. Use Developer (press Ctrl-Alt-Q to add/remove to the top menu)->Avatar->Character Tests->Appearance to XML. It exports as an XML file. It can be edited in a simple text editor. I suggest Notepad++ a free open-source editor. It has some XML editing features. You likely won’t need them. But they are nice if you want to do more than delete rows, like tweak the shape values.

XML files are human readable text files with a consistent format a machine can read.

To edit a shape file for the purpose of combining shapes one simply deletes an entire row/line of text to eliminate a setting. The name of the setting in a row is like the name in the viewer’s shape editing panel. For a head shape we remove all the settings-rows that are not head-shape settings. There are non-settings-rows that make up the file's structure. Those have to stay.

Once you have the edited head shape file saved, open Firestorm. Wear the body shape you want. Right-click your avatar and select Edit Shape. Notice the IMPORT button at the bottom. Click it to import the settings for the head from your edited file. Save and rename the shape.

Done.

Do you have to have Full Permissions to export to XML or can you do it with a No Transfer shape?

21 hours ago, Orion Pastorelli said:

Do you have to have Full Permissions to export to XML or can you do it with a No Transfer shape?

You have-to-have full permissions.

When you import a shape it is your creation, as far as the viewer and SL system know. Since it always comes back to you as full perm it has to be a full perm that is exported.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.