Stop blaming it on the cloud (it's Kharma-neutral)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So my bad day began yesterday when I went to Paypal to add the funds for my premium renewal and got told that because of some government legislation I had to prove who I was all over again. That is nothing to do with the cloud.

In entering the details I missed seeing a small grey button on an off-white background and inadvertently added myself a second time but with my first and second names instead of my first and last name because the web form wants two names and two names only. That wasn't the cloud.

Paypal were not in attendance for live support on a Saturday and simply pointed me to the web page that told me I had to re-enter my details before I could use my account. That wasn't the cloud.

So I opened a Skrill account and transferred the money ready for the premium payment call. It was all so easy I went to bed thinking nothing could go wrong.

First thing in the morning is my waking up to a black house, the lights had fused. Nothing to do with the cloud.

After climbing a step ladder wearing rubber gloves to pull the fuse holder and replace the time-expired fuse wire, I settled down to my morning emails, to find one from SecondLife saying there had been a problem with the payment for my membership. Ah ha! This was a perfect candidate for the cloud , surely?

Nope. Or maybe. As you'll have spotted in my other post, Skrill seemed initially to want me to verify my account but I don't have Farcebook or a smartphone and their web-page refused to activate my web-cam to take the mandatory selfie. That wasn't the cloud. (It might have been that their web-page requires you to activate an old version of flash?).

Being a Sunday, Skrill were all off doing who knows what and all I got by way of help was a pointer to a web page that showed an out of date image for how to grant your web browser permission to use the camera. That wasn't the cloud.

The payment finally went through, by dint of repeatedly mashing the "Buy Now" button against the request to pay my premium subscription, leaving me feeling like one of the rats in B F Skinnner's experiments. That wasn't the cloud (well, I grant you, maybe the payment details kept getting lost in some cumulo-nimbus)

By way of celebrating I went to a premium sandbox and got bowled over by some bozo hurling his car around. I was tempted to AR him but thought, his account is even older than mine and why should I make somebody else's day equally bad? Anyway, again, that wasn't the cloud.

Of all the frustrations and anxiety I have been through during the last 24 hours, nothing can be attributed to the cloud. Instead, it can be parcelled out to staffing levels over weekends for supposedly 24/7 operations, outdated web design, lack of a modern smartphone, my desire for reclusivity meaning I didn't have a certain bit of social media, a policy amongst many web-based operations of making life hard for criminals to dissuade them from trying to commit fraud via their operations, and a fuse-box that is perhaps 60 years old, almost as old as I am.

So get off the cloud's back.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.