New and looking for friends!

mithycayt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all,
I've been on SL for a couple of days and haven't really met anyone. I'm looking to meet people who are cool and have similar interests to me (which are reading, history, video games, art, animals, music). Come and find me or tell me great places to go if you would. I'm pretty shy so I don't have the easiest time meeting new people. 

i would be your friend but stupid computer wont run secondlife atm but you can try searching inworld event for example find an art gallery im sure you can find people there.

p.s. you can add me if you want and we could talk more when i get this SL to work :P

Well, kind of yes and no.  It's not a classified if that's what you assume.  The forum is a wonderful place to make friends as well.  In this category there have been several threads started over the past week with regard to people wanting friends.  Why reinvent the wheel - see what's happening in those threads, maybe some of the responses will 'click' with you.

Additionally, GROUPS are an excellent way to make friends as the groups you join are, ostensibly, groups that would peak your interest and have similar minded people.  

Enjoy.

mithycayt wrote:

I have indeed looked at the other threads in this forums and am doing so right now. Is this not the place to post threads looking for friends?

Of course you are at the right place mithycayt. Welcome to Second Life and SL forums. Some tips for you:

1)You can use the Destination Guide in world to find wonderful places

2)You can spend a little more time to add some more details in your profile about you and about the people you want to meet and also 1-2 pics of your avatar. It helps.

3)You can search and find other people with the same interests. For example: https://my.secondlife.com/interests/history You can change the last word and you get different results.

4)You can use the Search in world to find events. There you can meet many people.

5)Don't be shy and enjoy your new virtual world. Your new Second Life!

For everything you need, don't hesitate to ask. Have fun!

Maybe check out the sims and communities that draw a lot of teenage avis?

High school sims?

Or you could just do a search under concerts, RPG sims, and education and see what sort of groups and areas pop up on the search.

Have fun and welcome to SL.

Fill in the interests section of your profile. :)

Enter each of the interest you mentioned here, but each one as a separate entry (not a comma dileniated list, just one wont then add button, then the next word and add button, and so on).

Then search via those and see if it helps you find people or at least places to go to meet people.

Oh I think the purpose of this forum in particular -IS- to be a classified. :)

Feel free to IM me inworld if you think any of my listed interests would match you, or just want to chat.

mithycayt wrote:

I have indeed looked at the other threads in this forums and am doing so right now. Is this not the place to post threads looking for friends?

It may be... there's something of a slowly undergoing debate about whether that's one of this forum's purposes.

Anyway, I don't believe that's the real problem with these kind of posts. IMO, the problem is that they tend to transmit a somewhat passive attitude... as in 'post the ad, then sit back comfortably to wait for would-be friends to reach YOU'... as in 'let THEM do the hard work'.

And yes, it's  hard work, from your own point of view: 'I'm pretty shy... I don't have the easiest time meeting new people'. So it's a bit of  'I want others to do for me what I won't do for them'... and that's hardly a good start.

Second Life is a real-time, visual & auditive environment in which to meet people, so the dynamics of friend-making tend to be similar to those of RL, in-the-flesh meetings: you find places where people congregate (music & dance clubs, beaches, parks, popular shops, regional placess, newcomers areas, thematic events, expos...), and you start approaching them at your (and their) leisure: people alone, people in groups, people doing nothing (apparently... never mind those AFK or IMmersed), people doing something... my point is, do it as you would in RL.

Some will approach you. You will approach some. Don't let it be '100% being approached by others', or you will always depend on others doing what you'll never learn to do yourself :smileywink:

Ren Toxx wrote:

mithycayt wrote:

Anyway, I don't believe that's the real problem with these kind of posts. IMO, the problem is that they tend to transmit a somewhat passive attitude... as in 'post the ad, then sit back comfortably to wait for would-be friends to reach YOU'... as in 'let THEM do the hard work'.

And yes, it's  hard work, from your own point of view:
'I'm pretty shy... I don't have the easiest time meeting new people
'. So it's a bit of  'I want others to do for me what I won't do for them'... and that's hardly a good start.

Second Life is a real-time, visual & auditive environment in which to meet people, so the dynamics of friend-making tend to be similar to those of RL, in-the-flesh meetings: you find places where people congregate (music & dance clubs, beaches, parks, popular shops, regional placess, newcomers areas, thematic events, expos...), and you start approaching them at your (and their) leisure: people alone, people in groups, people doing nothing (apparently... never mind those AFK or IMmersed), people doing something... my point is, do it as you would in RL.

Some will approach you. You will approach some. Don't let it be '100% being approached by others', or you will always depend on others doing what you'll never learn to do yourself :smileywink:

This ^^

Mithycayt, I recommend that you start by searching for groups inworld. There are absolutely groups based on some of the interests you mentioned. You might want to check out the Bookstacks group since you like reading, and SL Classical Arts Centre or Da Vinci Isle since you mention enjoying art and music. All of these groups will keep you informed of periodic events where you can meet like-minded people.

Hello Mithycayt, Welcome to Second Life(:

By Your Personality, I'm Sure you'll Have Lots of Good Friends on Second Life,

In this Forum & InWorld Theres lots of Friendly Peoples you Can Meet, Dont be Shy, Say Hello, Be Active

1) Go To the Marketplace Or find some Freebie Places & Grab up Some Freebies, Make Yourself Look Good

2) Write Some Stuffs on your Profile, Show your Interests & Hobbies So Peoples will Get to Know you Better

3) Search some Places to Explore or Look in the Destination Guide

4) Visit Some Bars, Usually you'll Find Some Cool Peoples You can Add, Dont Worry Not every peoples in Bars are Perverts *Giggles* Bars & Pubs are Good Places to Hang out

5) Before Saying 'Hi' To Someone or Adding them Make Sure You've Read their Profiles, Most Peoples Hate Random Friend Requests & Usually they Decline them For Safety

6) If you find Someone Interesting, Dont Be Shy. Talk to Them & Say 'Hello', Talk to them Like Your Always Welcome to Do it, If they Say Something Mean to you, Dont Worry Just Back it off, Theres Alot more Peoples to Talk with, Not Every Users are Mean

7) Dont be Afraid to Ask someone when You Have Problems But Sometimes it is Really Hard to Ask someone you dont Know But Dont Worry if you Have Problems You can Always IM Me InWorld, I'm Always Free, I'm Barely AFK(:

8) I See you Like Some Things I Like too, Why Not Search for them Inworld So You'll Easily Find Peoples who have the Same Interests? :)

9) Try Roleplay if your Interested, Its Fun & Entertaining, Also a Good way to Find New Friends

10) Last but Not Least, You are Always Welcome Here, Everybody Is!, I've Added you InWorld Just incase you'd Need Some Help & Company

Goodluck

-xValleriex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.