When real life imitates Second Life lol

Rabid Cheetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, AlettaMondragon said:

At first I thought this was hilarious, but then a really important question came up which makes me rather agree with her:

Why the hell is there a limit on how high a fence can be?

I guess that whole situation matches SL pretty well indeed...

Nicholas Yung considered himself a lucky man. A German who immigrated to the United States in 1848, Yung had worked hard to carve out a living for himself and eventually prosper as the owner of a mortuary in San Francisco. The business allowed him and wife Rosina to purchase a modest lot on the top of California Street Hill, where they built a quaint, cottage-style home and planted a beautiful garden. Every day, California sunlight and fresh air would stream in through their windows.

Yung had no reason to believe that anything could interrupt his idyllic life, or that any one person could somehow deprive him of the beautiful days he had worked so hard to enjoy. But Yung also hadn’t accounted for Charles Crocker, a very rich and very petty man who would eventually become both his neighbor and the bane of his existence. With enough lumber to build a 40-foot-tall, blighting fence around much of Yung’s property, Crocker and his spite fence became a legendary revenge tale, a tourist attraction, and a lesson in the danger of escalating tempers... (link to full story above)

It's a thing that happens, for whatever reason. I once had to abandon my home and sell the land because of banlines. At a certain point, you have to ask yourself whether it's better to be 'indignant and right' or to live well, because it is a trope that sometimes life is unfair. You get right out on the razor's edge of forgiveness when it's a hurt that's on-going. Maybe I'm weak, but it was too much for me to face that same frequency daily and also be myself free of diversion. Sometimes, it's easier to forgive from afar.

Snapshot_002 (2).jpg

And then life goes on. And you discover that new things grow once clear of the shadow of loss. And somehow the song you're singing has grown too. And things start to seem Meaningful. So there's definitely a path around problems like these if you listen carefully, and it leads somewhere better, as it did for me. There will always be new builds, and maybe it's better to be the process than it is to be attached to the result.

718585125_20180503-Snapshot_0011080P.thumb.jpg.f1c9022519be95d14de12b0a6b1d4af0.jpg

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I see your point, but there's a huge difference between "40-foot-tall around someone's property" and "6 feet high between two properties". This stands for SL as well, to be honest. While a 40 ft high privacy screen already looks ridiculous and disturbing, there are even much larger ones in SL. And 6 is usually not enough to try to cover the sight of whatever a neighbor just built, or if they have banlines. Good question though when it comes to restrictions, where to draw the line in certain situations. Limiting fence height at 4 feet is absurd for me, especially in the real world.

Edited by AlettaMondragon
  • Like 2

In our town the ugly side with the cross piece has to face in toward the fence owners property and if you live on the other side, you can paint it whatever color you'd like since you see it and not the owner.  It does keep.people from being idiots mostly.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:
There will always be new builds

That's the most healthy attitude I've seen for Second Life, and ought to be a slogan.  Applies to giving up land due to rl household budgeting vis-a-vis SL tier fees, GOH, and the drive for further creativity that SL fosters (SL's not a place to live, it's a glorious box of crayons).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.