Box "your friend can see you online" unchecked, but did not choose it.

MEDEE Optera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

Sorry, I don't know if it's the right place for my question but anyway...

There is a special friend I can't see online these days. I've seen on Phoenix that his box for that is unchecked.
I told him and he swears he did not do anything. I totally trust him but as it seems there is this problem only with him and I, he does not have this issue with his other contacts, I wonder if it's really a bug or if it could be someone that could have mod this option cause he has other ppl that know his informations.

So my question is : Does this kind of bugs happen (just one person unchecked in the friendlist)?

I ask cause I told a friend who is very aware about SL how this story has been unpleasant and he said he never heard of this kind of bugs, he is sure someone used his account, so just want to be reassure and make sure it can actually be a bug.^^

Thank you!

Welcome to Second Life Forums, MEDEE.

There are a heck of a lot of bugs in Second Life. There is also a heck of a lot of mistrust in Second Life.  There might have been a bug that unticked the boxes, or there might not have been, but I would always say to people that the online status shown in your friends list or on your dashboard is a guide only.

On Phoenix you can ALWAYS see a person's true status, whether they are on your friends list or not. And you can also buy online tracking devices.

If your friend is special to you, just believe them. But if you talk to them, or leave messages for them when they are online or offline and they often don't answer, then you might have a clearer idea of how special you are to them.

Does it really make any difference? No matter how "special" your friend is, he deserves to have some time for himself.  Maybe particularly because he's "special," he needs a way to come in world and sit quietly under a virtual tree listening to Lady Gaga or whatever -- time that he doesn't have room for if he's always sharing SL with you.  :smileywink:

I totally understand that he could need time for him alone or with other friends even if I think he'd rather tell me directly because he is not this kind of guy, he is frank.

It's just that I asked him (pretty normal I think) and he has been offended and very surprised about that.
So I just wanted to know what happened, if it's a technical issue or if this kind of issues don't really exist and then if it could  be one of the person around him that are using his account sometimes.

Thank you all for your opinions^^

Ps : Oh and we don't spend all of our time when we are on SL together, we have our independant life on it too ;) 

You can't.  Just walk away and ignore it.  After a day or two it will be buried under more recent threads and nobody will see it. Meanwhile, you have probably helped several other people who quietly wished that they had asked the same question.  :smileywink:

MEDEE Optera wrote:

I totally understand that he could need time for him alone or with other friends even if I think he'd rather tell me directly because he is not this kind of guy, he is frank.

It's just that I asked him (pretty normal I think) and he has been offended and very surprised about that.

So I just wanted to know what happened, if it's a technical issue or if this kind of issues don't really exist and then if it could  be one of the person around him that are using his account sometimes.

Thank you all for your opinions^^

Ps : Oh and we don't spend all of our time when we are on SL together, we have our independant life on it too
;)

Hello Medee. Could be a technical issue but my feeling is that it is NOT a technical issue.

If someone else arround him could to use his account, we can't exclude something, but if it happens, be sure that he knows and he allows it.

odds are that it is not a technical issue, but if they use V2, web profile options have been known to spontaneously revert or be cleared.... and phoenix has been known to give false positive/negatives when users are on regions that are struggling.

that said, all you have is your friends word on it, and they say it's set correctly, so there is no moral dilema in relying on phoenix's "true online status" to see when they are on. If they are telling the truth, they won't care, and if they are lying, they are getting what they deserve =)

I myself turn it off for all but the closest of people that I know will respect my work schedule by experience, including clients even. Spending time in the forums I get lots of random IM's inworld, but I reserve my inworld time for work and play exclusively, and any help I provide either goes through the groups I'm in, or gets referred to those, or back to these forums.

most people understand that, although occasionaly they don't... I've had only one or two people drop me because of it.. that's their call.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.