Is this normal?

SwagART

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My partner recently bought land from a large private estate company. At the point of purchase, the advert stated she would have 1250 prims available. However, after buying she discovered that over 400 of those prims were taken up by landscaping created by the company. She bought it because she loved the scenery and views so to then discover that she had over 30% less prims available came as a shock.

So, is this normal? Does it sound like false advertising to say you have a certain number of prims, but then to actually get all of those you need to strip the land bare first with it then losing all of its initial appeal? She did mention it to the estate manager, but their attitude was extremely dismissive.

The first question to ask is whether this is group land. If it is grouped, they can use any and all prims on any or all parcels.

So the 400 prims of landscaping may not count on your count. You would still get to put out the 1250 because you are not limited to that parcel's limit.

The landlord may be dismissive because he is tired of people not understanding this (I know I get tired of explaining it again and again a zillion times, and I especially get tired of people accusing me of false advertising when in fact the lease says clearly that management prims don't count.)

OR he may think he has you over a barrel especially if he has no refund capacity.

If the parcel is stand-alone or put in your own group (unlikely if the landscaping remains there likely set to group) then it could be a problem.

There is only one solution. Put out the 1250 prims and see what happens. If it is grouped land, nothing will happen if the prim limit for that sim still has a buffer.

If some return or the landlord complains, ask for the landscaping to be removed or cite the ad again.

Is this their first time buying land?  Land itself has nothing on it.  Anything you see such as trees, rocks, homes would generally be something the seller has added to give you an idea of what the parcel could look like.  They usually ask if you want them to leave it or take it back.  Its not false advertising.  You were just unaware of how land works.

ETA. Are you actually buying or renting on a private estate?

Edited by RowanMinx

For a private estate, with a landscaped parcel, that sounds normal to me.  Often that is mentioned in the covenant.  When purchasing from an estate, always be sure to read through the covenant first, to make sure that you will be OK with any terms and conditions by the estate about what you can or cannot do with the parcel. 

I also take a look at the About Land and check the LI figures there. If I saw a sizable amount of LI already being used, and the covenant did not mention whether or not that counted against MY available LI, I would ask the Estate manager for clarification before completing the purchase.

I have "bought" land from private estates, and they do not care much about the land impact. The land forms they use, like terrain, trees and flowers, can be twice or triple the landscaping details I have. 400 sounds like over the top.

But what you see is what you get. The only way to check this, is to look under "about land" and "Objects" before you buy.

Parcel land capacity is what the parcel holds. Parcel land impact is what's already rezzed on the land. Here we see 129 + 26 = total 155. There are only 1129 of 1284 prims left.

Snapshot_009.jpg

The abowe was a rental with modest landscaping, but there is another type of full immersive landscaping.

Only the website tells the renter how many prims that is allowed. The example under is rented out with 600 free prims to use. This is where it is confusing. The number of prims the renter can use, is not stated in the notecard they can get from the rental box. The landcaping details and the building can not be removed or altered.

It could be a sign by the rental box, that it is only 600 prims. But I could not see it.

Parcel land capacity - parcel land impact does not count here. The renter may think he/she get 1406 prims.

https://puddlechurch.net/rentals

Snapshot_010.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.