Fixing Old Content

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a lot of old content, mesh and otherwise, which EEP ruins because of how specularity works.Check with an old viewer, and you have a set of options which don't need any fussing over textures, colours, or numeric values. The options are None, Low, Medium, and High.

The only safe choice is None. Switch to EEP and even Low is way too shiny.

First step: use that tiny Blank texture as the Specularity texture, white and 32 pixels square. That will shut off the presets.

Second, set the color to a desaturated version of the object colour. How far you go with the desaturation depends on what the material is. Paint and bare metal behave differently. I usually add a touch of blue. Some things can use a darker shade, but never totally black.

Set the two numeric values to 5 and see how it looks. That's enough for reflections to help show the shape, or for a normal map to work.. You can darken the colour and increase the number.

High numbers work for chrome plate. Try around 25 for gloss paint.

I have just spent half an hour fixing a rather nice vehicle, because of this. At least I can change the texture settings. 

• Haha 1

I wouldn't recommend changing any old content yet, it might be wasted effort.

The specularity in EEP most probably will still get changed to resemble more how it looks in Windlight. At present the specularity is still very strong in Firestorm beta, Black Dragon and Linden Lab's official release viewer.
The specularity has already been reduced in Linden Lab's Love Me Render viewer - version 6.4.8.547427.

Thus it's not wise to fix any old content yet. Things are still changing in EEP viewers.

• Like 3

I agree with Coby. Things are still very much in flux it seems.  I don't plan to redo a bunch of things. Happily I seldom have used "materials" such as normal and specular maps just BECAUSE of the different ways they can look under lighting. And opted to use baked textures to build in shine where needed. This is all a CHOICE of course and different creator feel differently about the subject.   Hopefully the upcoming main release (which will likely be added to Firestorm) will solve many of these problems.  Some things HAVE been fixed even though we were told that LL wasn't going to keep fixing EEP.  :D.. I am glad that changed since resistance is obviously fu-tile.  

On 9/9/2020 at 9:09 PM, Coby Foden said:

I wouldn't recommend changing any old content yet, it might be wasted effort.

The specularity in EEP most probably will still get changed to resemble more how it looks in Windlight. At present the specularity is still very strong in Firestorm beta, Black Dragon and Linden Lab's official release viewer.
The specularity has already been reduced in Linden Lab's Love Me Render viewer - version 6.4.8.547427.

Thus it's not wise to fix any old content yet. Things are still changing in EEP viewers.

Black Dragon has been using Love Me Render's specularity already. Unless they did even more changes.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:42 AM, KjartanEno said:

More changes have been made in the viewer code commits since Love Me Render RC was released. I would not use any EEP viewer as a reference for creating materials on objects.

Welp. I should probably take a look into them then for the next release, there might be more specularity changes.

Edited by NiranV Dean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.