auction question/ group land question

hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking to bid on a mainland auction, and I'm hoping to use the land allowance from 3 alts. I've donated their unused land allowance to the group, and I'm planning to bid with the avatar that is the group owner. The "confirm bid" window tells me that I have no land free (which makes sense, I suppose, since it was donated to the group). If I bid and win, can I set the parcel to the group, so that I'm not hit with land fees. Is that how it works? Basically, I'd like to know how I avoid land fees when buying a parcel through a Linden auction? What are the step involved? If there's a handy step by step somewhere, feel free to point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance!

32 minutes ago, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian said:

I'm looking to bid on a mainland auction, and I'm hoping to use the land allowance from 3 alts. I've donated their unused land allowance to the group, and I'm planning to bid with the avatar that is the group owner. The "confirm bid" window tells me that I have no land free (which makes sense, I suppose, since it was donated to the group). If I bid and win, can I set the parcel to the group, so that I'm not hit with land fees. Is that how it works? Basically, I'd like to know how I avoid land fees when buying a parcel through a Linden auction? What are the step involved? If there's a handy step by step somewhere, feel free to point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance!

In my experience, I removed the parcel size (in square meters) from the Group I wanted to end up owning the land so I had available tier in case I won the auction.  Once you’ve won the auction you can deed the new land to the Group or contribute land to Group with deed (not sure of the exact wording, but on the first tab of About Land window.  Good luck in the auction, they are lots of fun!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian said:

Thanks. I can make sure I have some land to my name, but I won't have enough tier for the parcel size anyway. Does that mean I'll have to pay land use fees, even if I only hold the land in my name for a few minutes? I take it there is no way to buy auction land though a group, then?

even a second owning land will cost you a month tier level for the size. And no, you can't act as group for landauctions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

even a second owning land will cost you a month tier level for the size. And no, you can't act as group for landauctions.

Thanks Alwin. That's exactly what I wanted to know (..if not exactly what I wanted to hear... LOL).

But once I have bought the land, can I set the land to the group, and if the combined allowances for the group are the same as the the parcel size, then there's nothing to pay? Or does that only work if the land was bought for the group?

Edited by hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian
thought of yet one more question

24 minutes ago, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian said:

can I set the land to the group, and if the combined allowances for the group are the same as the the parcel size, then there's nothing to pay?

yes you can do that, combine the donations in one group, and deed the land to it. Keep in mind the donations will get a 10% bonus in the group allowance, there might be spare for a bigger parcel, or additional Linden Home (as example) but to take a LH you need to take some donation back, a group can't own one)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1

Right - thank you so much. Good to know. 🙂

Oooh, that bring up another question... Can I buy the land with one avatar/account, and then sell it to another of my accounts, if I want to downgrade the account that bought the land in the first place to a basic account (the "buyer" account would be still premium).

If anybody knows...?

11 minutes ago, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian said:

Right - thank you so much. Good to know. 🙂

Oooh, that bring up another question... Can I buy the land with one avatar/account, and then sell it to another of my accounts, if I want to downgrade the account that bought the land in the first place to a basic account (the "buyer" account would be still premium).

If anybody knows...?

as soon it's group owned it doesn't matter where the tier donations come from.
If you keep it in ownership of one avatar, he will need enough tier to cover , pick your transfer moment careful or you might end with double tier. Check the payment moment on both before you make the jump.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

as soon it's group owned it doesn't matter where the tier donations come from.
If you keep it in ownership of one avatar, he will need enough tier to cover , pick your transfer moment careful or you might end with double tier. Check the payment moment on both before you make the jump.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. So I'll be able to see the payment date due somewhere in my account? Good to know.

Just now, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian said:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. So I'll be able to see the payment date due somewhere in my account? Good to know.

yes there are two billing dates in your account summary, one for the premium, and one for the tier level. In many cases that is the same or close to eachother, but not when you donated or bought land later than starting being premium.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, good to know.

Now would this work?

- buy land at auction with account 1 (let's assume the bid is successful)

- deed land to group (the group will have land enough to cover land usage even without the contribution of account 1)

- set account 1 land contribution to 0

- account 1 sells land to account 2 (who is also in the group, and does contribute some land)

- account 1 gets downgraded to basic

- land belongs to account 2, who holds it for the group, and the group has enough land that account 2 doesn't need to pay additional fees

OK, I kinda feel a bit petty, but hey, a dollar is a dollar. And I'm curious...

Of course this only works if you can sell the land to a specific person (avatar), which I believe is possible - somebody tell me if I'm wrong LOL

14 minutes ago, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian said:

Thanks, good to know.

Now would this work?

- buy land at auction with account 1 (let's assume the bid is successful)

- deed land to group (the group will have land enough to cover land usage even without the contribution of account 1)

- set account 1 land contribution to 0

- account 1 sells land to account 2 (who is also in the group, and does contribute some land)

- account 1 gets downgraded to basic

- land belongs to account 2, who holds it for the group, and the group has enough land that account 2 doesn't need to pay additional fees

OK, I kinda feel a bit petty, but hey, a dollar is a dollar. And I'm curious...

Of course this only works if you can sell the land to a specific person (avatar), which I believe is possible - somebody tell me if I'm wrong LOL

Once the land is deeded to the group, you don't need to sell it in order to downgrade your account 1.

Deed land to group. Set land contribution of account 1 to 0. Then downgrade account 1 to basic. The land will remain group owned after this.

Edited by AdminGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, now I have another question, but it's on a similar topic, so I figure I'd use this thread rather than start a new one...

I didn;t win the auction, but I did find some land I'd like to buy... but the "buy for group" button is greyed out. I am wearing my group tag, and the group has more land to it than the amount I want to buy. The land for sale is owned by a group, however. Is that why the "buy for group" button is greyed out? What should I do? How can I buy this land? Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.