Can we please have the Informations for the Week 03.08.2020 so we know if and what happens this Week?

Miller Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

FWIW, my thoughts are that while LL are fiddling with..er...doing maintenance on their "Back-end" systems they'll have the good sense not to roll out any new code this week.  Strangely last week my region WAS restarted despite only having been up for a week since the last roll...may have been a non-LL decision, of course.

I realise that using the terms LL and good sense in the same sentence might appear reckless to some. 😁

• Haha 1

Blake Sea (Agni) is a mess.  And I think other sims too.

It looks to me like no server updates today.   The usual Main Channel restarts for 'stale' sims.
There was a hidden reference to "backend maintenance" this morning that supposedly ended at 10:30 SLT.

There appear to be restarts going on now - very late - AGAIN!!!
SL is the only major online system I know of that basically is scheduled to be fully operational for only 5 / 7 days (Tuesdays and Wednesdays are shot), minus any unscheduled down time.  It really is pretty pathetic.

We had to abandon racing.   It looks to me like maybe asset server issues.   Objects super ultra slow to rezz (and then a bunch all rezz together in a hurry), when on board the boat scripts etc respond quickly, also comms between objects in the sim all operating well.  Problems at sim borders, crossing, or TP into sim.

Another symptom is if you logout, it takes a long time for the logout to complete, and then after that a significant delay before you can log back in.

Maybe someone can interpret all this?

Edited by JoyofRLC Acker
correcting critical typo, and some clarification

@JoyofRLC Acker you say:

21 hours ago, JoyofRLC Acker said:

There was a hidden reference to "backend maintenance" this morning that supposedly ended at 10:30 SLT.

I'm no apologist for LL but the work was clearly flagged up on the Grid Status page over the weekend, so I don't quite understand your reference to "hidden"?

4 hours ago, Aishagain said:

@JoyofRLC Acker you say:

I'm no apologist for LL but the work was clearly flagged up on the Grid Status page over the weekend, so I don't quite understand your reference to "hidden"?

It was under past incidents.  I don't normally look there for info about whats going on currently.   I think that was technically the correct place, as they had posted that the maintenance was "finished".    The "" are due to the fact that Blake Sea was a mess yesterday; we had to abandon racing as I said.  My guess is that it was asset server not simulator issues.  Anyway ...

Maybe they need 'recently completed and not yet fully checked out' section or something nearer the top.  More realistically, I guess I know I have to look there as well as the in progress maintenance.

@JoyofRLC Acker: I understand that you only saw the notice after the work was completed but believe me the advance notice was flagged up correctly over the weekend.  I take your point that it may never have reached the top line "In progress" status....not for the first time the op may have been asleep at the wheel!  Now that's what I saw on the wepage, possibly the Twitter feed was different and I would assume that notifications to subscribers never got sent. ☹️

In my experience it's well worth taking a good look around that page for oddities... the current "Region Maintenance" notice is a case in point....what on earth does it mean....to me it's "stand by your beds wherever you are"...but for what??

Edited by Aishagain

Not sure if this is the place but ....

Since last Tuesday / Wednesday there has been a dramatic improvement* in region border crossing performance in Agni (yes Agni, not Aditi).  Im not aware of any server code upgrade this week, just the "backend maintenance".

So what's changed?

And why have I not seen other comments on this?

* The frozen time at the border is now almost zero in my Trudeau 12m yacht (not the lightest boat) whereas it 5 - 7 seconds before.   A quick test over a dozen sims with a time says its under 0.2 seconds; extensive racing over the last few days my subjective (i wouldn't race with a fine grained timer running) observation is almost all crossings are now sub second.

@JoyofRLC Acker: looks like LL got this change right! 😊

On 8/5/2020 at 5:29 PM, Maestro Linden said:

That's correct, @Qie Niangao.   When crossing between two regions on a version with this change (which is only 2020-07-29T00:01:10.545722 after today's rolls), the new, AWS-compatible, object region crossing code will be used.  Otherwise, the old object region crossing code will be used.

If you'd like to try the new crossing code, the "BlueSteel Sandbox" and "LeTigre Sandbox" regions would be a convenient choice.  Anybody in the open-enrollment "Second Life Beta" group can visit those regions and rez objects.

Edited by Aishagain
additional text

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.