Is it possible to buy Lindens without getting a Premium Membership plan?

pnye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is it possible to buy Lindens as a one-time payment without any recurring payments for the Premium Membership plan and/or any other recurring payments that can occur as a result of buying Lindens?

I just wanna get some Lindens for some items i wanna buy but i don't wanna get charged monthly/yearly indefinitely.

I know i can remove my payment method but i don't know if it will stop Linden Labs from making recurring costs to my paypal/bank account or if my Second Life account will get locked or not.

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Moira Timmerman said:

Yes, it is possible to buy lindens without having a premium membership.   Buying lindens does not result in automatic recurring payments. 

Would removing my payment information from my Second Life account get it locked after i get the Lindens?

Thanks for the answer earlier : D

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

No, why would it?  But then again, why would you want to remove your payment method?

I'm not the owner of the actual bank account but i was given permission to buy some Lindens once and then remove the payment information after i get them.

3 minutes ago, pnye said:

I'm not the owner of the actual bank account but i was given permission to buy some Lindens once and then remove the payment information after i get them.

Oh, I see. That makes your life a little awkward, but I understand. So, no, there's no penalty for removing a payment method.  I suggest keeping two things in mind, though.

1. Wherever you buy L$, Linden Lab changes a transaction fee of $1.49 per transaction regardless of the amount of L$ you purchase.  So, if you are buying only, say,  L$2000 worth of L$, you will pay roughly $8 for the L$ plus another $#1.49 for the fee.  That means the fee is a whopping 16 percent of your cost.  If you buy a larger amount of L$, the fee is still $1.49, but it's a smaller and smaller percentage of the total bill.  In other words, it is always much more economical to buy a lot of L$ at one time than to buy smaller amounts a little at a time.

2. When you start using the LindeX for the first time, your trading limits are fairly low and they remain low for the first 30 days after that. Partly, that's to protect you from spending a lot of money before you understand how things work.  Mostly, though, it's Linden Lab's way to be sure that your payment method is valid and you are trustworthy before they let you buy lots.

I really suggest reading those two Knowledge Base articles that I referred to earlier very carefully so that you know what you are doing.  I also recommend that you use only the Market Buy option for the first few times you use the LindeX, rather than using the Best Buy (Limit Buy) option.  It's much easier to understand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, I see. That makes your life a little awkward, but I understand. So, no, there's no penalty for removing a payment method.  I suggest keeping two things in mind, though.

1. Wherever you buy L$, Linden Lab changes a transaction fee of $1.49 per transaction regardless of the amount of L$ you purchase.  So, if you are buying only, say,  L$2000 worth of L$, you will pay roughly $8 for the L$ plus another $#1.49 for the fee.  That means the fee is a whopping 16 percent of your cost.  If you buy a larger amount of L$, the fee is still $1.49, but it's a smaller and smaller percentage of the total bill.  In other words, it is always much more economical to buy a lot of L$ at one time than to buy smaller amounts a little at a time.

2. When you start using the LindeX for the first time, your trading limits are fairly low and they remain low for the first 30 days after that. Partly, that's to protect you from spending a lot of money before you understand how things work.  Mostly, though, it's Linden Lab's way to be sure that your payment method is valid and you are trustworthy before they let you buy lots.

I really suggest reading those two Knowledge Base articles that I referred to earlier very carefully so that you know what you are doing.  I also recommend that you use only the Market Buy option for the first few times you use the LindeX, rather than using the Best Buy (Limit Buy) option.  It's much easier to understand.

Much appreciated, i'll give those two Knowledge Bases a good look. I'm going for the Market Buy like you said.

What that initial trading limit will do though is prevent you from buying more than roughly US $25-30, I think, worth of L$ on your first transaction.  That may or may not be as much as you actually wanted to purchase.  If I remember correctly, the limit goes up every few days or so through the first 30 days, when it finally hits the normal limit.

Just noting that for you because if you were wanting more L$ than that first purchase can buy, then you might need to talk to the owner of the payment method to see about a second purchase a few days or week after the first.

You can monitor your limits here: https://accounts.secondlife.com/lindex/economic_limits

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What that initial trading limit will do though is prevent you from buying more than roughly US $25-30, I think, worth of L$ on your first transaction.  That may or may not be as much as you actually wanted to purchase.  If I remember correctly, the limit goes up every few days or so through the first 30 days, when it finally hits the normal limit.

Just noting that for you because if you were wanting more L$ than that first purchase can buy, then you might need to talk to the owner of the payment method to see about a second purchase a few days or week after the first.

You can monitor your limits here: https://accounts.secondlife.com/lindex/economic_limits

Had no idea this was a thing, thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.