Victorians have no memory - or did i miss something?

Sum Littlepaws

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was trying out other styles of Vics this evening after decorating a Doyle with custom colors for walls in every room, it looked great! But after i was gone through said other styles i went back to the Doyle and it was just all white! Outside and inside, not even the outside or the woodwork remembered it's set colours.. just meh .. have to redo it all! The Trads remember their settings .. why the Vics don't? Big sigh.... Is there someone out there who found a solution?

1 hour ago, summernightsdream said:

I was trying out other styles of Vics this evening after decorating a Doyle with custom colors for walls in every room, it looked great! But after i was gone through said other styles i went back to the Doyle and it was just all white! Outside and inside, not even the outside or the woodwork remembered it's set colours.. just meh .. have to redo it all! The Trads remember their settings .. why the Vics don't? Big sigh.... Is there someone out there who found a solution?

I don't recall any Vics holding paint settings for me, though I admit I've not tried changing models out in a while. I wonder if the difference has something to do with the code that allows us to create custom colors? 

ETA: Did you check the My Colors thing to make sure the colors aren't sitting in there for  you to use?

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn

• Moles

There's a prominent note in the instruction notecard that is in your mailbox that says:

IMPORTANT: Please note that custom colors are always saved in the control panel for your house, but they are NOT saved anywhere else.  If you rez a new home on your parcel, any custom colors will be lost and you will need to create and apply them again.  This is one very good reason to save the RGB values for favorite colors in a notecard or some other personal note.

There's no practical way for the system to save  the custom colors that you create. The dataserver can remember which preset colors you choose, because the house scripts have the detailed color vectors hard coded. Storing the custom vectors for up to nine user-created colors on each house in a region, though, would be more of a challenge.  That's why we included the chat message that shows up every time you change the color of a wall, and it's why we advise you to write them in a sticky note or keep a notecard to remind you.  That way, you can use the color information for tinting add-ons that you create or you can re-apply them to the walls in a different house that you may rez later.  To apply that saved color information to a wall, use the <RGB> option instead of the Color Picker.

Now, the system is supposed to remember the colors that you choose for the outside of the house, unless the house changes ownership. When you rez a different house model on the parcel, it is supposed to have the same exterior colors and should remember the preset colors on interior walls (just not your custom colors).  If that's not working, it needs to be fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

12 hours ago, summernightsdream said:

My Colors "forgot" my custom colors too. But even the outside color i was choosing it forgot (was yellow). I wish the system would be able to remember at least the custom colors i picked for the inside rooms so i could restore the wall paint easily.

Given Dyna's info, if you save your chat logs, then the RGB values will be recorded in the logs and you can get them there and re-apply them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given Dyna's info, if you save your chat logs, then the RGB values will be recorded in the logs and you can get them there and re-apply them.  

I found something rather odd about that when I tried to apply my colours to a new house.  I copy/pasted the RGB for what was meant to be pale pink and it appeared a very dark navy.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Now, the system is supposed to remember the colors that you choose for the outside of the house, unless the house changes ownership. When you rez a different house model on the parcel, it is supposed to have the same exterior colors and should remember the preset colors on interior walls (just not your custom colors).  If that's not working, it needs to be fixed.

@Dina Mole ... I tested the outside colors again, they also will not be remembered by the house. Even if i color any house i rez with the same color (yellow in my case). I will file a ticket tomorrow. Good to know i have to save the RGBs myself, thank you - of course i did not read the notecard at first, hehe .. sorry.

• Moles
On 3/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

I found something rather odd about that when I tried to apply my colours to a new house.  I copy/pasted the RGB for what was meant to be pale pink and it appeared a very dark navy.

I suspect that was a typing error, Garnet. (I do that all the time, so typos are familiar territory.)  Take a look at these two quick images:

8083a0bba1b2e2f7ae5c191bc3589b56.png

919eaf9ca5d4881d8a79faaa1d353e4f.png

As you can see, all I did to change the cube from a nice pink girl prim to a blue boy prim was to "accidentally" miss typing the final 4 in the code for the red channel, so it became 19 instead of 194.  It's not your deep navy blue, but you get the idea.  I can mess with typos and create all sorts of odd results. I can even do it with copy/paste.  Nothing is immune from my typo skills.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.