How to help and mentor people new to SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there an SL mentor group or certain place to spend some time when in world to help people that might be new and checking out SL with the increased amount of people staying home?  I remember those newbie days and would like to help people not be as frustrated as I was when I first started.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maddie Zane said:

Is there an SL mentor group or certain place to spend some time when in world to help people that might be new and checking out SL with the increased amount of people staying home?  I remember those newbie days and would like to help people not be as frustrated as I was when I first started.

Check out Caledon Oxbridge, which has a great community, and is devoted to mentoring newbies!

@Lindal Kidd undoubtedly has some other suggestions!

(Is NCI still a thing?)

• Like 2

Hi, @Maddie Zane!  Kudos to you for wanting to help newcomers.  (And a cheery wave to Scylla!)  I've been doing that for nearly the whole time I've been in SL...and so have some of the other "Forum Regulars" that I expect will make an appearance in this thread.

One way to help is right here, in the Forums.  The "Answers" forum is where you'll find most people asking questions.

There are several Resident-run helper organizations.  AdminGirl mentioned one of them...the White Tiger Mentors run New Resident Island.  Send an IM or a notecard to Treacle Darlandes to inquire about joining the group.  They also cover two of the "Welcome Islands" where new residents appear in Second Life on their very first log-in.

Caledon Oxbridge University is another great organization.  They run their own newcomer learning area.  All of Caledon has a Victorian Steampunk theme and the University follows it.  They have an extensive self-paced walkthrough tutorial, live helpers, and an assortment of classes on Second Life topics.

New Citizens, Inc, or NCI is another excellent newcomer assistance group, with several locations around the grid, live helpers, and classes.

Builders Brewery is a group specializing in helping folks learn about SL's creation tools.

The Firestorm viewer folks have their own version of Social Island, and live helpers, as well as two in world discussion groups.  The Firestorm Help Network helps people with general SL questions, and there's also a group to help with questions specifically about the Firestorm viewer.

Ajuda SL Brasil offers a region with tutorials, freebies, and live helpers for Portuguese-speaking residents.

Many people have struck out on their own to provide help, doing things like creating blogs about Second Life, or YouTube videos.  If you have, or develop, an interest about one particular aspect of SL, something like this might be a good way to pass your expertise on to others.

I'm sure I've left out some people and organizations...my apologies to anyone I missed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Maddie, at Helping Haven Gateway we have a team of helpers to assist both new and old residents as well as our sim with free classes, free shops, tourist office and free homes. If you would like to join our team please send me an im in world and visit us at :. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Helping%20Haven%20Gateway/42/52/25

I f you need to know more about us do visit our website : http://helpinghaven.weebly.com.

I look forward to talking to you .

Lily Swindlehurst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Maddie Zane said:

NCI Kuula is a favourite place of mine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.