RL price to SL price

Electronic Mode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

heres the deal. I want to start selling a service in SL. I do it in RL. I know that in RL i can ask X ammount of money for it (all depends on case. some are cheaper some more expensive) But how do i convert that price into sl. is it plain x : 5?

i dont want to tell yet what it is exactly what i want to sell

8 answers to this question

Hi,

It depens what country are you living in. You need to check first how you can pay money out and if there are  any payments on the way. Do you have credit card? Do you use PayPal? Have you made any transactions in Second Life already?

In Second Life you have curriency called Linden dollars L$. As far as I am concerned you can buy them only for $. So you need to check if you are able to make transactions in both ways. 

Good luck with your business! 

no no i mean how much i can ask for selling my service. how to calculate the correc price. i cant just convert Rl price to linden dollars. as we all know in SL everyone sells their stuff very cheap. not want to overprice and dont want to sell myself very cheap either

I haven't thought about this for a few years but back when I was toying with selling clothing that I make I tired to get a price comparison RL to SL.  What I did was look at the price of items for sale in SL, then compare that to the price of similar items in RL.  One example that I can remember was a pair of "quality" shoes.  The SL price was about $L350.  Then looking on the Internet to see what a pair of RL shoes that are considered "quality" (not top of the line designer shoes but better than the "buy one get one free" stuff at Wal-Mart).  A pair of RL shoes would cost about $75.  Okay, $L350 equals about $1.50 USD.  And $1.50 is 2% of $75.  I did that with a few different items and found that when you convert the $L to USD, then figure the percentage it is to an item equivalent in RL it always fell somewhere between 2% and 5%.  It's pretty consistant, though not cast in stone...........it boils down to what people will pay and not what it might be worth.

Trying to figure for a service is going to be difficult.  For instance:  I might pay a landscaper $1,000 USD in RL to build me a Koi pond in my backyard.......I would never pay $L5,000 to an SL builder for a Koi pond at my SL home.  $1,000 is about $L250,000 and 2% of $L250,000 is $L5,000.  You'll have to experiment with pricing to find what people will pay for your service.  You have to realize that it's not what it's worth........it's what people will pay.  If your RL services are worth $200 USD, 2% of that price in $L is $L1,000.  That's a pretty high price for most things in SL and I don't think many will flock to your business............I could be wrong since I don't know what your service is.

I hope this gives you a base to start with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.