Need help with Windows 10 - low fps

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am in the process of finally migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a dual boot installation. So I can directly compare performance under Windows 7 and Windows 10 on one and the same machine. The problem is: under Windows 10 the fps is about 30-40% of what I get under Windows 7.

• My system is a AMD FX-4350 with 16 GByte of ram and an AMD HD-7750 graphics board.
  • Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 have the current graphics drivers from AMD installed.
  • The problem is not viewer dependent; it happenes with the LL viewer as well as Firestorm.
  • Graphics settings in the viewers are identical under Windows 7 and Windows 10.
  • I run the same power profile settings under Windows 7 and Windows 10.
  • I tested OpenGL performance using GFXBench and the results are slightly better! in Windows 10 than Windows 7.
  • I am on a 100 MBit synchronous internet connection (wired).

What I have noticed: ping times are greatly fluctuating under Windows 10. This is not a problem of the network connection; we all know meanwhile that when the viewer reports 100ms of ping time it simply means that it pings the server every 100ms because that's the time it takes to complete a frame. Ping time is basically the inverse of the fps value. It simply looks like Windows 10 is dragging its heels.

Thanks for any advice!

Wolfe.

I have seen similar, I still have Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs and they show better performance under Windows 7 and dual-booting into Linux as well.

Turn off cortana, turn off all the typing and inking monitoring options, stop as many background apps from accessing things like location, turn off file and folder indexing.

In particular, add folder exclusions to where your caches are and also where your chatlogs and system logging goes. Windows 10 seems to fire up the antimalware processes whenever programs start up and whenever they start writing data to disk.

ETA

One final area where Windows 10 is worse than Windows 7 is the startup process of checking for updates, checking all your other programs and looking for Windows 10 compatibility options, and firing the summaries back to Microsoft. My laptop that has no restriction on Windows 10 updates can take 25 minutes before all the scanning has completed. My Dell tower PC with Windows 10 but with group policy enable to only check for and accept windows updates when I say so starts up and is ready for my use within 10 minutes. I tell it when I want my disks defragmented and when I want it to check for updates, which is usually after I've done all the things I bought the PC for, but with the laptop I have to wait while Microsoft uses it for it's own purposes.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
Correcto, ergo sum

4 hours ago, Wolfe Blackburn said:

I am in the process of finally migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a dual boot installation. So I can directly compare performance under Windows 7 and Windows 10 on one and the same machine. The problem is: under Windows 10 the fps is about 30-40% of what I get under Windows 7.

• My system is a AMD FX-4350 with 16 GByte of ram and an AMD HD-7750 graphics board.
  • Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 have the current graphics drivers from AMD installed.

Correct me if I am wrong, the AMD HD-7750 is from 2012 and has limited 1,024 MB memory. Windows 10 use more of the GPU memory, when all the whistles and bangs are enabled.

Run sysdm.cpl, select the tab Advanced, first option is Performance, click Settings and select Adjust for best performance

If you get blurry fonts after the above, repeat but select Custom options and enable Smooth edges of screen fonts, all other options disabled.

I want to add, older PCs are stretched performance wise with new OS like Windows 10, so if possible a new PC/laptop highly recommended.

Go into the gaming section of the AMD Adrenaline control panel, and add your viewer of choice and let the AMD software auto-tune performance. SL viewers like to overestimate the capabilities of old graphics cards. If shadows and advanced lighting are enabled, disable them. In Firestorm, you should be able to use 768MB of texture memory. Do it.

Thank y'all for your suggestions. Things I've tried so far which did not have an impact at all:

• Setting folder (Firestorm's local and roaming AppData) and process exlusions in Windows Defender
  • Turning off all the bells and whistles in /System Properties/Advanced/Performance
  • Texture memory setting in Firestorm is maxed out at 512 MByte

Further differences I observed:

• Under Windows 10 I have an average of about 40% CPU load on all 4 cores - under Windows 7 only 2 cores are under load (40-50%).
  • GPU load runs about 50-60% under both OS (no real difference to observe).
  • I do have visible (in statistics) network packet loss under Windows 10, anything up to 1.5% - under Windows 7 this number is stuck at zero.

I appreciate all further suggestions. Will try to let AMD's Adrenaline to auto-tune the viewer app. Right now I do not want to disable all kinds of graphics settings in the viewer since my goal is to figure out why the very same computer performes so much worse under Windows 10. Turning off things like advanced lighting under Windows 10 would result in a comparison of apples and oranges (since it is enabled under Windows 7).

I didn't notice any issues when switching from Win7 to Win 10 but I had a much newer (and Nvidia) graphics card.  I am not all that techie with hardware but Google tells me that the care model is eight years old. It could easily be a conflict WITHIN Win10 because of the older hardware.

image.png.c04a27b18a907bcc52e1d712bc2f8344.png

So it may not be something you can fix without getting a newer card.   Just a thought.

I haven't seen a lot of others complaining about this and you would think there were be more comments if it was simply a change to Win10 issue that affected most or many cards. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.