Generation 50+ in SL

Miller Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have used a mature avatar since pretty much 8 years. Encountered with exactly the same problems you speaking of, and given up in trying to find skins and hairbases for me back then and learned on make my own. I've been hesitating about how much the demand for this niche of skins would be in order to kick myself on making a store. Also the reason I found this post.

Would add to the topic, is not only skin/body what you need, but also hair/hair base/facial hair/accessories, you complement everything to not just appear like a young person with wrinkles.

Snapshot 01.png

Edited by Eqix
  • Like 5

ok so I don't know what to name the thread I want to make but 

I did make this look. I know it's probably not exactly what some people are looking for but the whole look and a face close up .  The only thing I bought specifically for this was the tank top everything else I had in my inventory. 

What I'm wearing:

Mesh head - LAQ Leia with the shape that came with it

Skin -LAQ Natasha ,  group gift. 

I used the wrinkle layer on the HUD with the opacity down below 50% so it gives some lines but not a lot and it's not heavy. 

Top/jacket is from Scandalize and a group gift (free join on the group). They style it as a dress with thigh high boots

Under it I'm wearing 

Izzie's Basic Tank top BOM layer. She also has a long sleeve round neck top but I didn't buy it and I felt it came up too high

Leggings are Addams, group gift

Boots are from Eurdora

I dont know what age I look like exactly, I know not 50+ but this is a more mature look and it's using pieces from places that don't really do that kind of look. 

mature shopping_001.png

mature shopping_002.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

@MillyWH I've been thinking about this thread, and your picture, how much easier it makes it to actually see examples of converting garments that i would normally overlook. Your example works really well. 

I'm not great at styling with jewelry and accessories but I am used to taking stuff and figuring out how to use it to get the look I want.  While I love mesh, I miss the days system and scultpy clothes when you could take the top of a dress and then wear it with a skirt or the bottom of a different dress.  

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 7:23 AM, Eqix said:

I have used a mature avatar since pretty much 8 years. Encountered with exactly the same problems you speaking of, and given up in trying to find skins and hairbases for me back then and learned on make my own. I've been hesitating about how much the demand for this niche of skins would be in order to kick myself on making a store. Also the reason I found this post.

Would add to the topic, is not only skin/body what you need, but also hair/hair base/facial hair/accessories, you complement everything to not just appear like a young person with wrinkles.

Snapshot 01.png

Wow - great work! That all comes together to make a really characterful older avatar.

Like you, I started to want to age my avatar a bit, probably also about 7-8 years ago, and found very little out there. It's what got me into trying to make my own skins and adding other stuff to my store that would help create an older look. I know I'm never going to be the biggest and best skin/make-up creator out there, but enough people have appreciated what I've offered to make it worth doing. I'd encourage you to put your creations up for sale...yes it's a niche, but it's one that's only minimally catered for.

And a pic...just because I can! :)

200202 OlderPeony.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MillyWH said:

well I was going to start a new topic but I uploaded the wrong picture and can't figure out how to delete it and if I cancel and then start a new topic it just comes back up; I feel so stupid right now.

Aww no! This forum can be counter-intuitive at times.

@Peony Swee*****er I'm impressed with your work. You managed to capture the softer skin of a more mature face which is so hard to do.

I missed @Eqix's supplementary comment earlier about maturity being about the whole look and it seems to jump out at me now.

In my ideal world it would be easier to get ideas from other SL members who have found ways to age gracefully. Maybe there are blogs and flickr feeds out there that I haven't found?

• Like 1

My husband has run into the same issue with hair as OP.  For the past 12+ years he's been bemoaning the lack of a decent flattop in SL, so he's now teaching himself Blender in the hopes that he can make one.

For us, we've finally just gone with white hair (the greys often seem to have a yellowish cast, and I spend enough time RL trying to nuke that from my 90%+ nearly-white hair -- SL does NOT come with a purple shampoo option).  I tend to use Truth, and Synapse has thrown his hands up in the air and is just wearing a white hair base.  I hope he's successful in his hair-making adventures.  If so, I'll also mention the extreme dearth of hairline options to him.

Regarding appliers that mimic skin imperfections and aging, none of them work quite right on me.  They add texture but that's juxtaposed against the terrifying perfection of Ajay's skin and it looks... off.  So I've settled on sticking close to my natural haircolor and features, and have just gone youthful for the remainder of my appearance.

Considering I use Botox and fillers RL (I have an epic case of hereditary RBF -- the injections help offset it so folks don't think I'm horribly depressed all the time), it's fair enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.