is there a way to change the pixel size of a texture in Create?

ZenonSeven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My concern is that it costs 10L to upload an image. I may discover that my image is too large a load and  that a lower pixel size would be desirable. The simple solution would be to change the image in my photoshop and re-upload the image. lets say I started with 512x512 and decide that 128x128 would work as well with less load...Do I have to pay an other 10 L to re-upload the edited image...OR is there some facility in the SL create editor that I am unaware of to change texture pixel sizes?

6 answers to this question

Zenon, when build testing then use local textures til you are happy with what you see. Then pay the 10L upload fee when so

in the viewer to use Local textures (which are on your hard drive)

on the PICK: TEXTURE dialog there is option buttons: ( ) Inventory ( ) Local

when ( ) Local is chosen, then Add button is enabled

click Add button and get a file browser,  select a texture file on your hard drive. It will get added to the local texture list

pick a texture from the local list for the selected  face as normal

a caveat with local textures is that only you can see them. Nobody else inworld will see them. But for own testing then is super useful

Edited by Mollymews
tpeo

Molly is right about local textures.  If someone else needs to see and evaluate them, uploading them to the beta grid is also free, even without using the Local option.  (Well, it does cost "$L10", but it's the beta grid's play money, so it doesn't count.)

Edited by Lindal Kidd

My sincere thanks to all who have responded with helpful information. If I am paying attention, I understand that I can use my own created images freely to built my house / furniture whatever, with the understanding that no one else can see them....THEN , once I have completed the project, pay the 10 L to upload my images , so all may see them. I have no idea what is being being referred to as "The Beta Grid's Play money"....I am admittedly a "newby" and have not bought Lindens yet, but, If I have "Beta Grid Play Money", it is news to me....could someone please clarify and further explain this? Again, my sincere THANKS

You almost have the Local Images part right.  Local images are not only visible to you alone, they only persist as long as you are logged in.  So, if you log out and then come back later, you'll have to apply the local textures all over again.  The point is that local textures are on your own computer, not in the SL sevrers. Textures only become permanent and visible to everyone after you have paid the L$10 and uploaded them to the servers.

The Aditi (beta) grid is Linden Lab's own test grid.  They make it available to us as a practice area for our own testing, with the understanding that it may not always be open for use and that nothing you create there can be brought to the main grid (Agni).  For your testing purposes, you receive "play money" on Aditi so that you can upload textures and mesh there, but that play money, also,. can never leave Aditi.

Edited by Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.