Is there a way to "factory reset" an avatar?

Sarah Newchurch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have looked for an answer to this pretty much everywhere on the internet but I am at a loss. 

I have a rather old account, as I have been in SL since 2006. Suddenly my avatar had turned into a "smoke/ghost/"Ruth". Whenever I log in I get alerts saying my avatar and clothing cannot be downloaded. 

I cannot even edit the avatar as when I right click on myself, the "Appearances" is greyed out on the circular menu. 

Is there a way to reset the avatar to a default condition, or (as this is available in OSgrid/OpenSim) is there a place where I can get a "blank avatar" just to get out of being a ghost?

You can choose a default avatar. It's one of the options in the top left of the viewer. There's a selection of the ones that Linden Labs made. I am not at home so I cant check which tab it's under. I know it's there though because I had the same issue when I pulled my ten year old account out of the dirt.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sarah Newchurch said:

Hi, I have looked for an answer to this pretty much everywhere on the internet but I am at a loss. 

I have a rather old account, as I have been in SL since 2006. Suddenly my avatar had turned into a "smoke/ghost/"Ruth". Whenever I log in I get alerts saying my avatar and clothing cannot be downloaded. 

I cannot even edit the avatar as when I right click on myself, the "Appearances" is greyed out on the circular menu. 

Is there a way to reset the avatar to a default condition, or (as this is available in OSgrid/OpenSim) is there a place where I can get a "blank avatar" just to get out of being a ghost?

The newest shapes are BENTO. So to "reset" your avatar create a new shape from scratch: in your inventory, create NEW then choose SHAPE. That new shape is now a Bento shape. I know: pain in the butt to restyling it to your liking. Though, if you are able to select your onld shape in inventory and edit it, you can write down all the slider number-settings and apply them to the new shape you have created.

If you are using the official SL viewer - choose "Me" from the menu, then "Choose an avatar" then pick any one of the starter avatars from the list.

If you are using Firestorm, choose "Avatar" then "Avatar Health" then "Reset default avatar" (male or female).

It's likely that your old avatar has a system item (skin, shape, eyes or hairbase) that is either no longer in the inventory or is corrupted. If one of those four items can't be found, your avatar won't rez at all. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.