I opened a folder & it deleted over 24k of new items!

Lisa Erin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

First time poster, over 10 year resident on SL

HELP!!! I opened an old folder and BAM! The folder that it was in (over 24k of new Mesh) disappeared. I cleaned out my cache, deleted chat history then restarted the game. And I made sure it was not in the trash. STILL NOTHING  :(

Anyone ever heard of this? And is it possible to get back inventory that maybe a virus zapped when I added the file to my av?

HELP! :(:(:(

Lisa Erin on Second Life

Edited by Lisa Erin
Forgot to show I am not a newbie

5 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Lisa Erin said:

First time poster, over 10 year resident on SL

HELP!!! I opened an old folder and BAM! The folder that it was in (over 24k of new Mesh) disappeared. I cleaned out my cache, deleted chat history then restarted the game. And I made sure it was not in the trash. STILL NOTHING  :(

Anyone ever heard of this? And is it possible to get back inventory that maybe a virus zapped when I added the file to my av?

HELP! :(:(:(

Lisa Erin on Second Life

Huh... most in SL for more than three or four years rarely ever call it a "Game". But I digress. You do not specify which viewer you are using. Have you tried a different viewer such as Second Life Viewer (a.k.a. "Official" LL Viewer) - Catznip Viewer - Kokua viewer? (I don;t mention FS because it seems most presume that's what others use, right? If not then add that to the list).

As for clearing cache, did you clear the *inventory* cache?

If none of what I suggest helps, then your best bet is to put in a support ticket with Linden Lab. Be *patient* - it may take a while, but they *will* help you out. And remember, Holiday season is coming up do delays may be a little longer this time of year.

I've never heard of a virus in SL so that won't be the problem. If you can remember a name of anything that was in the folder type that in to inventory search if you were moving things around in inventory it's entirely possible you dragged the folder in to another folder i've been there and done that once or twice before. if the folder found it's way in to trash and you purged it or deleted everything in the trash it's gone for good. If you are using anything other than the official LL viewer you will need to make sure the items are missing in that viewer too before sending a support ticket 

Regardless of whatever viewer you're using here is a helpful guide to inventory loss https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_missing_inventory

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

[...] if you were moving things around in inventory it's entirely possible you dragged the folder in to another folder [...]

This is the mostly likely scenario and 95% of the occurrences of this type of complaint.

• Like 1

A quick remedy is to use the gear settings or Firestorm collapse button to collapse all folders, then reset the filters, then open the root Inventory folder. 

I've had various amounts of inventory disappear. Resetting filters, checking recent wasn't selected and changing the filter drop down in Firestorm didn't help. Collapsing folders and resetting brought everything back. This may not fix your problem but it is a quick easy step.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.