Is it true that you get fined over 100,000 USD for sharing a mesh body that YOU'VE made and is 100% original? Along with other meshes that are 100% original that aren't mesh bodies?

Miyuo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

It is absolutely not true.

However, are we getting the full story here?  If someone thought you were violating another creator's intellectual property rights, then possibly they were trying to scare you by relating the fines for willful copyright violations.  Which are assuredly more than you want to pay, even if they are not $100,000.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:18 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Where would you ever hear something weird like that?

There was this girl who was telling me that if I were to share my very own meshes i'd get fined for it and I thought it was ridiculous, trust me I was laughing I was just making sure that this was 100% untrue with experts and who know Secondlife better than i do ^^. 

On 11/7/2019 at 10:00 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

However, are we getting the full story here?  If someone thought you were violating another creator's intellectual property rights, then possibly they were trying to scare you by relating the fines for willful copyright violations.  Which are assuredly more than you want to pay, even if they are not $100,000.

Naw we were just having a conversation about creating on Secondlife but because I'm new to making stuff on Secondlife, so she felt the need to say that as a warning I guess and I had a feeling that was entirely untrue. I don't know why she needed to lie about that though to me :s All of my meshes are 100% original and mine and I have plenty of file versions to prove it and i also record my process. So it was just kind of weird for her to even say that, you know? 

On 11/7/2019 at 8:17 PM, Mollymews said:

fined by who exactly ?

She was saying i'd get fined by Secondlife if I used the classic body and shared it and along with my other meshes, if i shared my own meshes and secondlife's classic body i would get fined. :s

4 hours ago, Miyuo said:

She was saying i'd get fined by Secondlife if I used the classic body and shared it and along with my other meshes, if i shared my own meshes and secondlife's classic body i would get fined. :s

I'm not sure why she'd say that.  The SL classic avatar is freely available to everyone.  But no mesh body creator would try and sell it.  The mesh is low detail...which is why aftermarket mesh bodies sell so well in the first place!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miyuo said:

There was this girl

Linden content is licensed Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0. Link here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Viewer_Licensing_Program

what this means is that a mesh body which is a copy of the Linden classic avatar is also licensed CC 3.0. This means that the mesh body should be set to full permissions (CMT) and distributed full permissions

any texture that you make for it can be set to No-Transfer. When applied to the body then the work as a whole on being distributed to another person will be No-transfer (C) in their hands. However, because the mesh body itself is Modify then when a person, who buys your texture already applied to the body, then applies another full permissions texture to the body, then this new work, as a whole, will be full permissions (CMT) in their hands

any mesh attachments/clothes that you make for the body can be No-Transfer also, like normal. The textures (skin, makeup, etc) we make are the same as any mesh attachments and we can set these to any permissions we like

basically in terms of packaging this body for sale with our products:

1) we have a copy of the classic avatar as a mesh body. Is set full permissions (CMT)
2) we apply our texture to it. Texture is No-transfer. Body + Texture shows as Copy No-Transfer
3) we include the body (CMT) and a copy of our texture (C) in the sale package. So that our buyer can re-apply our texture, should they want to use it again after trying on some other texture in its place

the body distributed this way, is like a free coat hanger for our customers to hang our textures and clothes/attachments on. We are not selling the body, we are selling our stuff. Our customers can do what ever they want with the coat hanger according to the terms of the CC 3.0 license

• Like 4

On 11/9/2019 at 7:11 PM, Mollymews said:

Linden content is licensed Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0. Link here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Viewer_Licensing_Program

what this means is that a mesh body which is a copy of the Linden classic avatar is also licensed CC 3.0. This means that the mesh body should be set to full permissions (CMT) and distributed full permissions

any texture that you make for it can be set to No-Transfer. When applied to the body then the work as a whole on being distributed to another person will be No-transfer (C) in their hands. However, because the mesh body itself is Modify then when a person, who buys your texture already applied to the body, then applies another full permissions texture to the body, then this new work, as a whole, will be full permissions (CMT) in their hands

any mesh attachments/clothes that you make for the body can be No-Transfer also, like normal. The textures (skin, makeup, etc) we make are the same as any mesh attachments and we can set these to any permissions we like

basically in terms of packaging this body for sale with our products:

1) we have a copy of the classic avatar as a mesh body. Is set full permissions (CMT)
2) we apply our texture to it. Texture is No-transfer. Body + Texture shows as Copy No-Transfer
3) we include the body (CMT) and a copy of our texture (C) in the sale package. So that our buyer can re-apply our texture, should they want to use it again after trying on some other texture in its place

the body distributed this way, is like a free coat hanger for our customers to hang our textures and clothes/attachments on. We are not selling the body, we are selling our stuff. Our customers can do what ever they want with the coat hanger according to the terms of the CC 3.0 license

Thanks so much for that info, and well put! I would've never known 😊, i was honestly worried for a bit if that was a true rule on second life. Thanks so much ♥

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.