Campers=spare tier, say what?

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, so you have a camper, yay! Now that premium avatar is also holding 512 in tier they're not using.  Not having thought about tier in donkey's years, I'm a little bemused by that.  If you plan to only keep your camper for a few months, and you don't know anything about how tier works, it's probably best to ignore the spare 512.  Who knows, maybe later you'll abandon the camper and want to get a traditional or HB, and then you'll need a full 1024 available tier.

But let's say you get a WONDERFUL camper that you think you'll keep for a year.  Should you do something with that tier, and if so, what?

The knowledge base has this old article covering the basics of tier and land:  https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/

I went to the land forum, and was disappointed to not see a helpful sticky about tier and land. However, threads discussing relevant topics crop up all the time and get informative posts like this one:   https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/444473-donate-land-to-a-group/?tab=comments#comment-1993934

So what are your options?  Let me preface this by saying that most of the older forumites here know more than I do about tier, so please do weigh in, folks.

I think there are 4 options:

1.  Donate the tier to a group.  This would be a group that owns land and needs to pay for it, like The Forum Cartel or SL Humanists.  Qie touches on how to do that in the post I pointed to above.

2.  Get a 512 on mainland.  You would have to purchase the 512 via the normal land auction process, but after that there would be no monthly charge.  I believe that if you find a parcel that you like on Mainland but it's in maintenance and not available for purchase, you can file a ticket, and LL may make it available to you directly.

3.  If you have 10 campers or something, form your own group, donate all the extra tier to it, and get a big parcel on Mainland, hooray!

4.  Sell your extra tier to an existing mainland rental company, if they're still doing that.   Basically, the way it usually worked is that you join a group of theirs and donate your tier to the group.  Then you get a discount on renting land from them, and you pay the remaining rent in Lindens.

REMEMBER, when dealing with LHs and tier in general, if your available tier falls below the amount needed to support your land (for example, if you rely on automatically renewing your monthly membership and the credit card for your account declines the charge)  BOOM the land is gone.  I think nowadays you may get a few days grace, but there are many horror stories about people having builds and communities that went poof overnight due to inattention to the calendar!

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All good suggestions!

Another possibility: I have a group of premium alts I use for Mainland land buying purposes, and I've been thinking that if my main (currently sitting with 1024 available because I gave up my traditional LH) catches a camper that is a real keeper, I'd donate the other 512 to the group, let one of the alts pull that 512 out (remember, they are premium, too), and then they can shop for a camper as well. It's fun to do some idle clicking and see what has been abandoned.

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

REMEMBER, when dealing with LHs and tier in general, if your available tier falls below the amount needed to support your land (for example, if you rely on automatically renewing your monthly membership and the credit card for your account declines the charge)  BOOM the land is gone.  I think nowadays you may get a few days grace, but there are many horror stories about people having builds and communities that went poof overnight due to inattention to the calendar!

LL might be a bit stricter with private region owners, but if your payment fails for any reason on your Premium renewal, they'll try a few times over the next few days.  If it still fails, then they will lock your account.  In order for you to get your account unlocked, you have to pay everything that is due.  However, they don't actually reclaim your land for quite a while.  If the bill isn't paid, they'll just leave your account locked and the land as is for a bit - at least a month per a Linden comment here in the forums (I'm trying to find that post).

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL might be a bit stricter with private region owners, but if your payment fails for any reason on your Premium renewal, they'll try a few times over the next few days.  If it still fails, then they will lock your account.  In order for you to get your account unlocked, you have to pay everything that is due.  However, they don't actually reclaim your land for quite a while.  If the bill isn't paid, they'll just leave your account locked and the land as is for a bit - at least a month per a Linden comment here in the forums (I'm trying to find that post).

I remember also. And the same with Premium payments. I think it was OZ or at least the one that "I" remember was. The only issue would be if your credit card was no longer active -- BUT the OP was talking about what to do with extra tier, so as long as you keep your Premium payment up (in that scenario) there is no tier payment anyway.  

And yes there is still at least one land company that will take tier in trade. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.