suitable videocards for secondlife

Eaglehex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's already so much facepalm material in the thread, the last bit of unneeded conflict hardly makes any difference. 😑

The "ask elsewhere" advice is worth listening to, though... and when you do, please name a hard limit for your shopping budget, so you won't be faced with the whole bandwidth of low end 1050 non-TI to formerly top end 1080 suggestions.

Besides that, a RX 570 is better value anyway.

If you go to a computer store make sure they know Second Life has updated to mesh because some computer Geek Squad people do not even know what Second Life is today with the mesh avatars...and they could be 10 years behind in understanding what Second Life is today.  So, don't rely on non players of the current Second Life for advice.  I know because it happened to me..."oh sure I know what Second Life is..."....not!  

Well, I had to get a better graphics card than Geek Squad advice.

As far as gathering advice outside the world here itself...it's tricky...so I wish you best of luck as I know some of these graphics cards can be very pricey.  Keep your patience...you should be able to arrive at the appropriate advice within your budget.

I use desktop...my machine is always cool.  My laptop could burn me in a half an hour 'if' I didn't use a laptop tray with cooling vents underneath.  

Edited to add:  Also, most computer store people will go to Second Life, check the specs...and sell you the recommended ones...when in fact they truly know nothing of Second Life.  All they will do is look up Second Life's specs.  So, don't fall for that.  It's difficult finding a computer and someone with real current knowledge of Second Life.  I know, I went through it.  And, many just want to get a sale asap. 

Honestly, I would trust Rolig Loon over any supposedly great computer person there could ever be in a computer store...however, most people here need to know your budget. 

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

The "ask elsewhere" advice is worth listening to, though... and when you do, please name a hard limit for your shopping budget, so you won't be faced with the whole bandwidth of low end 1050 non-TI to formerly top end 1080 suggestions.

For OP to ask elsewhere as I mentioned earlier, the LTT forums are pretty good for this. Steady supply of nerds who do nothing but research computer parts all day.

@Eaglehex

Specially this subforum

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Where you just gotta post with a budget and goal in mind and they can direct you towards what to buy either as a custom build, off the shelf prebuilt, or help you pick the right options for local sales on Craigslist or whatever.

Specify that SL likes 3 things;

-good single core cpu performance, you don’t need a super high core count cpu

-cache is important, fast storage drives 

-graphically runs well on entry level cards like a 1050/1050ti or similar 

Specify if you want to build your own, get a store PC, custom build service, or upgrade a prebuilt. 
There are a lot of little finicky details with PC building, the assembly itself is super easy but it’s knowing what to buy that’s hard. 
My general baseline you should be looking for if getting a PC for SecondLife is a Ryzen 5 of some kind, 8 or 16gb of DDR4 (preferably 2666mhz or higher), an NVMe or at least m.2 SSD of the capacity you need, and for a gpu look for an RX 570, 3gb GTX 1060 or better. 
There are other things to be concerned about such as the motherboard chipset, cooler, airflow of the case or whatever, but for an “at a glance” at what to buy, just look for that. Ryzen 5, 8/16gb, RX 570, SSD

4 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

For OP to ask elsewhere as I mentioned earlier, the LTT forums are pretty good for this. Steady supply of nerds who do nothing but research computer parts all day.

@Eaglehex

Specially this subforum

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Where you just gotta post with a budget and goal in mind and they can direct you towards what to buy either as a custom build, off the shelf prebuilt, or help you pick the right options for local sales on Craigslist or whatever.

Specify that SL likes 3 things;

-good single core cpu performance, you don’t need a super high core count cpu

-cache is important, fast storage drives 

-graphically runs well on entry level cards like a 1050/1050ti or similar 

Specify if you want to build your own, get a store PC, custom build service, or upgrade a prebuilt. 
There are a lot of little finicky details with PC building, the assembly itself is super easy but it’s knowing what to buy that’s hard. 
My general baseline you should be looking for if getting a PC for SecondLife is a Ryzen 5 of some kind, 8 or 16gb of DDR4 (preferably 2666mhz or higher), an NVMe or at least m.2 SSD of the capacity you need, and for a gpu look for an RX 570, 3gb GTX 1060 or better. 
There are other things to be concerned about such as the motherboard chipset, cooler, airflow of the case or whatever, but for an “at a glance” at what to buy, just look for that. Ryzen 5, 8/16gb, RX 570, SSD

Yeah, I'm sure cheesecurd has great advice.  

A budget and knowing what you want out of SL could help the people here direct you.

I would avoid a computer store altogether as I said they are trained "sales people" who say yes to things like I know what Second Life is and then just go and look up the recommendations on Second Life.com and try to sell you a very cheap equivalent.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.