suitable videocards for secondlife

Eaglehex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My gaming pc went kaput so I'm looking at buying a secondhand one online. I checked secondlifes minimum requirements and they only list 3 videocards: Nvidia, ATI and intel.

My question is are these the only brands that will run secondlife or did they just choose the most popular brands to list.

thanks in advance

Edited by Eaglehex

4 minutes ago, Eaglehex said:

they just choose the most popular brands to list

If you use a card that at least exceeds the minimum requirements listed, you can enter SL.  The more onboard memory the card has, the better.  As always, the best advice is to buy the most powerful and flexible equipment you can, realizing that it will be just "average" in a few months.

1 hour ago, Eaglehex said:

My question is though Are the only brands that will  run sl the 3 listed. I come across a few gaming laptops a day where I'm looking but more often than not they're not one of the 3 brands listed by second life

Pretty much every GPU on the market today is based on the tech of either nVidia or AMD. The 'Intel' one just means 'no GPU / built into base motherboard'.

AMD boards are notably substandard until you hit the extreme high end. Basically they compete in the 'general computer that can game' and then the 'pro' market - but not in between. And it's only very recently that they've rejoined the pro-level with some of their newest chipsets - so the debate about how good those are is still ongoing.

An nVidea 1080 will cover for most people. If you want an upgrade that will go long, move to a 2060 or 2070. If you want cutting edge get a 2080. But the 20xx series of boards will see you also wanting the latest CPU, motherboard, AND monitor (1440p and 144hz) or it's wasted money.

A 1080 these days is low priced and will cover almost any current 'gamer' need.

If SL is mostly looking at the CPU and not the GPU... then you're going to want an AMD CPU, like a 2700 Ryzen or something (which is overkill - it's what I have so yeah... I'm now using SL at maxed settings and on most days getting 60+ FPS. Not right now... something's eating the grid... but normally).

2 hours ago, Eaglehex said:

My gaming pc went kaput so I'm looking at buying a secondhand one online. I checked secondlifes minimum requirements and they only list 3 videocards: Nvidia, ATI and intel.

My question is are these the only brands that will run secondlife or did they just choose the most popular brands to list.

Those are the only choices that exist.  In the case of ATI, that is a brand of AMD Inc.  In the case of Intel and nVidia, those are the company names and they have brands. 

I would type the following search words into your favorite search engine:  tomshardware graphics buying guide 2019.

Edited by Erwin Solo

I think I read into this wrong.

i do not suggest the SecondLife forums for tech stuff in general, blind leading the blind and all that, no offense to the people here but there’s like a handful of people who really know this stuff well enough to give you an accurate answer

check out the linustechtips forums and ask them about buying a secondhand gaming PC, they’ll be a lot more helpful for pointing you in the right direction 

Edited by cheesecurd

3 hours ago, Eaglehex said:

thanks in advance

I'm running the Asus Cerberus GEForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB. Not top of the line or anything but it serves very well for SL.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/CERBERUS-GTX1050-O2G/

Here's the nitty gritty on it: https://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1050-review/ 

13 minutes ago, Eaglehex said:

I'm not all that up on computer specs. Just curious if I had a GTX 1050 put into this machine if it would be suitable for second life

https://www.megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/Product/USIB0043

Wouldnt physically fit, thats a USFF (ultra small form factor) model. It doesnt have the space nor physical connectivity for any video card.

Thats also a really bad price for any M92p or similar age office desktop.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The short answer is yes. See my post above.

double check yourself real quick

9 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

Wouldnt physically fit, thats a USFF (ultra small form factor) model. It doesnt have the space nor physical connectivity for any video card.

Thats also a really bad price for any M92p or similar age office desktop.

double check yourself real quick

So you know what kind of desktop I have and how old it is? :o

No, it won't fit in a laptop but the question asked was would a GTX 1050 work for SL and the answer is yes. That is what I have been using in my desktop for almost 2 years now.

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS CERBERUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So you know what kind of desktop I have and how old it is? :o

No, it won't fit in a laptop but the question asked was would a GTX 1050 work for SL and the answer is yes. That is what I have been using in my desktop for almost 2 years now.

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS CERBERUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

Op asked, and i quote:

38 minutes ago, Eaglehex said:

I'm not all that up on computer specs. Just curious if I had a GTX 1050 put into this machine if it would be suitable for second life

https://www.megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/Product/USIB0043

to which you answered:

28 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The short answer is yes. See my post above.

Which is outright wrong, because youre not gonna fit any video card into a compact PC that has no expansion slots at all.

double check what you post

Small cased computers are very bad gaming computers. They have problems like no internal expansion slots but even ones with expansion slots have no airflow which results in the graphics card and CPU heating the system like a toaster oven. Fortunately, mid tower and regular tower PC computers are usually cheaper than small cased computers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheesecurd said:

Op asked, and i quote:

to which you answered:

Which is outright wrong, because youre not gonna fit any video card into a compact PC that has no expansion slots at all.

double check what you post

Where did I say it would fit? I said the video card would work for SL. Nothing more and nothing less.

1 hour ago, Eaglehex said:

if it would be suitable for second life

That is the part I was answering, not whether or not it would fit in any given tower.

Check your reading comprehension.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Where did I say it would fit? I said the video card would work for SL. Nothing more and nothing less.

That is the part I was answering, not whether or not it would fit in any given tower.

Check your reading comprehension.

keep digging yourself that hole

you told OP a 1050 was gonna fit in a USFF thinkcenter, you can try and reword it however you want, but you didnt bother to even click that link to see what the PC was before just trying to brush off their question

now im not here to argue, im here to help OP, but if people are gonna keep posting generally wrong things then im going to step in as someone who actually knows what theyre talking about to make sure someone less tech literate isnt being lied to

Just now, cheesecurd said:

keep digging yourself that hole

you told OP a 1050 was gonna fit in a USFF thinkcenter, you can try and reword it however you want, but you didnt bother to even click that link to see what the PC was before just trying to brush off their question

now im not here to argue, im here to help OP, but if people are gonna keep posting generally wrong things then im going to step in as someone who actually knows what theyre talking about to make sure someone less tech literate isnt being lied to

I did no such thing. 

Ah I see. So according to you someone who once owned a very successful computer shop before a hurricane wiped it out doesn't have a clue.

I don't appreciate being called a liar.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

I did no such thing. 

Ah I see. So according to you someone who once owned a very successful computer shop before a hurricane wiped it out doesn't have a clue.

I don't appreciate being called a liar.

if that was the case you wouldnt be posting factually incorrect statements, ie "lies", because you'd probably be able to figure out you cant fit a square peg in a round hole.

Forum etiquette isnt hard. Read the question, post a researched answer. :)

Dont glance over the question and basically just toss whatever info is at the tip of your tongue at the screen and hope for the best.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.