Missing Folder

Diawa Bellic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am not sure how this happen, i been in SL for over 11 years, and never had this issue before. I am missing a sub folder i had created in my Object folder to contain building items, it is gone. a few days prior to this happening i i had logged into the beta grid just to look around.  I logged back into the beta grid after discovering my folder missing to see if the folder would show  and it was there..It still lists in my inv to this day in the beta grid. is there anything i can do to get that folder back.. I am a premium user , and i submitted a ticket, they replied   

" Hello Diawa,

Thank you for contacting support, and I'm sorry to hear about the missing folder! For troubleshooting purposes may I log into your account and look for the folder? You do not need to change your password for this, but will not be able to login for a short period. Let me know if it's ok to proceed! "

lol.. well i  understand the processes of trouble shooting but for one.. the folder is missing .. and there not going to find it there.. and 2 what there asking is like letting someone into your home when your not there so they can go there your stuff.. so ya..thats not happening.

9 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Thank you for contacting support, and I'm sorry to hear about the missing folder! For troubleshooting purposes may I log into your account and look for the folder?

.thats not happening.

I'm pretty sure that Linden Lab could look into your inventory even without asking your permission.  After all, the LL TOS (Sect 1.5) says [my emphasis added] , "Linden Lab owns the bits and bytes of electronic data stored on its Servers, and accordingly will not be liable for any deletion, corruption or data loss that occurs in connection with the Service. Linden Lab will solely determine any disposition of the electronic data stored on its Servers and will have no obligation to reproduce, process, transfer, extract or recreate any data from its Servers."  As a courtesy, they told you that if they do the work that you requested, you will not be able to log in for a short period while they fix things.  If you choose not to accept the help that you asked for, you're the one who loses.

• Like 1

Diawa, that was a legitimate request, and for a valid reason.  I'll try to explain...

Your inventory is kept on LL servers.  The inventory that you see in your viewer is just a sort of picture of it, not the actual inventory itself.  Tech Support's offer would have allowed them to look at the data on their servers, compare it with the inventory shown in your viewer, and correct the discrepancies.

You can often do this yourself, but perhaps not with the same precision as LL Tech Support.  Clear your inventory cache, either with the control in Firestorm's Preferences, or by manually deleting the appropriate folder on your PC.  Then log in to a quiet, empty region like Heckendorf, Smith, or Pooley and wait for your inventory to repopulate.  Details here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_cache_clear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diawa Bellic said:

Why dont they just tell me its not recoverable, and i can lay it to rest. if they have some special process they can perform by logging into my acc.   Why dont they word it as such. They make it sound as if i was over looking it . I have done all of the clear cache procedures. Perhaps i am grasping at straws asking for a magic solution. 

If it's not recoverable, they will tell you so.  Obviously, they think it may be recoverable, or they would not have asked you if they could poke around and kick the tires.

When you, or anyone, calls Tech Support, that's pretty much what we are doing...asking for them to do their magic!

In this case, I strongly suggest you stop ranting and allow Support to try and fix your problem.  I have had inventory problems in the past that the usual fixes like clearing cache did not help, but Support was able to fix.

Why dont they just tell me its not recoverable, and i can lay it to rest. if they have some special process they can perform by logging into my acc.   Why dont they word it as such. They make it sound as if i was over looking it . I have done all of the clear cache procedures. Perhaps i am grasping at straws asking for a magic solution. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.