What Are The Most Expensive Gatchas on the MP?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just idly wondering about this while making a new build at my Gatcha Addiction Treatment Center.  And I was wondering -- how could I find this out?

So I plugged in the word "RARE" and did a search, then refined it with the check-off box "over $5,000" which I think delivers a fairly plausible picture, although not completely. I suspect some items are just artificially kept high in value by some people posting them with outrageous prices like $29,000. Could a gatcha really sell for that and has anyone paid that??? 

I recently went through and lowered the price of a lot of my gatcha rares. I realize what happens is that in, say, 2016 (that's how long some of them haven't sold!) you won the Sword of Awesomeness out of some set you spent $5,000 Lindens trying to get the SoA from, nobody else had it up for sale so you thought well, gosh, I'm putting it for sale for $5,000 because now that I have it, I don't want it and let me try to make back that loss.

But then you fail to come back and check it for literally years and find that meanwhile, 30 other people won the SoA, too, and some have priced it as low as $175 now because it's not that hard to win, and if you don't actually do RP with sword-fighting, what can you do with the darn thing? So *no wonder* mine wasn't selling and people weren't laughing at me. Now, I could price it to $170 for a quick sale, or even put it up $275 thinking that lower-priced ones will "burn through" and then get to my slightly higher price -- a logic I find myself applying to the MP which is silly, because, the stuff might sit another year.

People who are really in the gatcha sales business with stores are much smarter -- they price low and sell in bulk. Or they watch the MP like a hawk and what really moves and price high when they can and drop down. They know what really people will pay.

This remains a mystery to me, but something I had overpriced at triple the price just sold when I under-priced everbody else, and now I feel bad I didn't charge more. But truly, why was I hanging on to a tub of banana splits for $975? Seriously.

But to hew to my topic: what is the most valuable gatcha? 

I suppose I should be surprised to learn that from my perusal of the MP with those search boxes, I discover it's a...white headless...dog-mermaid...creature that you can use as an adult chair, by anc. No, I'm not kidding. So now I was totally fascinated, having passed up the white dog-mermaid so many times on trips to try for other hugely priced gatchas by this same artist. And on the 3rd try, I won this Most Valuable Gatcha in the World, so now I have a headless dog-mermaid to sit on. I'm happy...I think. You can see it here near the end of the quest (or select "Further Up" on the teleporter at the main landing).

A LOT of the most valuable items are those sort of kawaii kewpie dolls, little animals or figurines you try collect as a whole collection. I almost never go for those but those are what people in real life really mean by gachapon, I'm told, and it's funny that it isn't in fact a Sword of Awesomeness or hair or a dress that is the most expensive but these little weird critters.

Yes, I know about the retired Noah's Ark spice rack which is likely the most serious highly-priced gatcha as it has amazing craftsmanship and humour and just looks good in your kitchen. Someone told me about it and I started collecting it, and when I got some pieces for $200 and not $2000, a friend told me I was buying from a copy-botter. Oops! Too bad there is no way to tell, as you can with RL paintings.

I see 8f8, the wonderfully talented author of the series of story times, and cafes, and grandma's houses which are really quite something is still very high up on these most-valued gatchas. But so many items baffle me. An AF golden milkshake maker with only three flavours? Well, at least it dispenses. A David Heather bin of men's hairbrushes? Huh?

My own most valued gatchas are anc's the Berry Life, a kind of strawberry fountain over pancakes which I just think is an amazing piece of artwork, in that it can take different forms; some of the elaborate Contraption music players; 3rd_eye music boxes -- really, there's always something about music boxes -- some Spell items like the alien baby. Was that the time I sunk $12,000 into the machine?! I'm still selling the spares from that one, ouch!

What do you think are the most valuable gatchas? And what are YOUR most valued? Because we all know that certain things that aren't even rares can be the most valuable for you for all kinds of reasons.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

Boogers Bears from Arcade rounds in years past have the potential to go for quite a bit since the creator never placed the machines out after any particular round of the Arcade ended.  So there is a finite number of any one bear.  I sold a grouped collection of their The Walking Dead inspired bears for several thousand.  But I spent near as much to obtain them.

My faves are my Boston Terriers (any of them) from Schadenfreude or my "ex's ashes" & "glitter" canisters from Commoner.  I also love my nonplayable board games from Second Spaces.  And I keep out one Boogers Bear- he is blue & white and Tangled in working twinkle lights.  :)

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

You're conflating the terms "most expensive" (a discrete, factual, and easily-determined thing) and "most valuable" (a completely subjective thing; value is relative.)

To answer the factual question in the title of your post: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Artists-Beanie/9061168 , set at $L 1,000,000. (!!!!!)

Which explains why I almost never bother with gachas.

• Like 4

I had to go look at MP, do the filtering for gachas, price high to low, and I think maybe some of those people may be a little confused who are listing. The beanie, however, is classic. It's like a statement, LOL! I hope someone buys it and displays it proudly in their home like a Picasso. (while the seller grins and rubs their hands together planning their next great get rich idea)

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You're conflating the terms "most expensive" (a discrete, factual, and easily-determined thing) and "most valuable" (a completely subjective thing; value is relative.)

To answer the factual question in the title of your post: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Artists-Beanie/9061168 , set at $L 1,000,000. (!!!!!)

Which explains why I almost never bother with gachas.

No, I made it clear in my post that for me, there are things that I treasure, that are valuable, that aren't even rares or even if they are, aren't expensive. 

In real life, you speak of "the most valuable diamond" and it's understood that it isn't just grandma's old diamond she left in your will but the Koh-i-Noor or whatever those hugely expensive diamonds are called. 

Of course it is subjective and unrelated to what people would pay. Sometimes it coincides, often it doesn't. I'm that way about the KittyCats, too. I imagine I have sent to the Menagerie all kinds of rares with rare traits that I missed because I don't care enough to follow them.

As for that beanie, yes, people have put joke things like that on the MP, that's far from the only one. There's even an SL star diamond priced ridiculously that says you can "see it in world" but when you TP there, the land is for sale LOL.

@Pixie Kobichenko I never even heard of Boogers bears. But then I have boycotted Arcade for years in protest against all the $75 or higher pulls.

I would say out of all the creators in the super rares category,  Schadenfreude shows up the most. I love her horror matryoshka dolls and a lot of her little creatures, they are so creative.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

@Pixie Kobichenko I never even heard of Boogers bears. But then I have boycotted Arcade for years in protest against all the $75 or higher pulls.

I would say out of all the creators in the super rares category,  Schadenfreude shows up the most. I love her horror matryoshka dolls and a lot of her little creatures, they are so creative.

I typically don't play the gachas either. I'll search on marketplace. In the past there was an arcade current round only yard sale &  was strictly pull price only.  The newest round of the arcade started on the 1st but I have yet to see a yard sale like that this round.  I did however find what I wanted already on marketplace. 

on a sad to me note booger bears have not participated in the arcade for many rounds- I don't know what the story is behind that.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

47 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I typically don't play the gachas either. I'll search on marketplace. In the past there was an arcade current round only yard sale &  was strictly pull price only.  The newest round of the arcade started on the 1st but I have yet to see a yard sale like that this round.  I did however find what I wanted already on marketplace. 

on a sad to me note booger bears have not participated in the arcade for many rounds- I don't know what the story is behind that.

Yes, the smart thing to do is to go to that yard sale and pick exactly what you want for pull price only, or even wait a few weeks where there will be less-than-pull price on the MP.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.