Script memory limit, maybe?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a dance circle which I placed and it is working. It had several dance anims loaded most of which I didn't like. So, I deleted all but two. I then added four of my own. All six of those work when you use the circle. But, when I added the seventh dance, it doesn't show up in the dance menu. I tried deleting it and adding it back. But, it still doesn't show up. The object instructions say that you can add as many dances as script memory will allow...but, seems strange that I would run out at seven anims. Any thoughts about how to diagnose the issue?

10 minutes ago, Rhiannon108 said:

I got a dance circle which I placed and it is working. It had several dance anims loaded most of which I didn't like. So, I deleted all but two. I then added four of my own. All six of those work when you use the circle. But, when I added the seventh dance, it doesn't show up in the dance menu. I tried deleting it and adding it back. But, it still doesn't show up. The object instructions say that you can add as many dances as script memory will allow...but, seems strange that I would run out at seven anims. Any thoughts about how to diagnose the issue?

Also, you can be pretty much certain it's not the script running out of memory. If the dance names are storerd in some sort of list, as per usual, then (depending on the length of the dance names), you could store like 100-200 of them, before memory ever became an issue. Besides, if the script would really run out of memory, it would simply crash (with a debug notice, about a stack overflow or something).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Wee more context might be helpful. :) AVsitter? Did you add menu items? You're really going to have a bit more specific.

I did reset the scripts and that didn't do anything. I didn't do anything to add the menu items as the dance anims I added after I bought it just automatically showed up until this last one. By "AVsitter?" do you mean is it an object you sit on that animates your avi? If so, yes.

What happens if the offending animation is the only one in the object?

What happens if you add yet another animation after the offending one?

What happens if you rename the offending animation?

Oh, and Avsitter is a script system for playing animations in objects that are sat on. It lets you customise stuff like the menus. It doesn't sound like it's involved in this.

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Like 2

How many buttons show in the menu now?

If it's 12, including the animations and the control buttons, then maybe the script hasn't been written to accommodate multiple pages and is just ignoring anything that takes it over the limit.

Edited by KT Kingsley

10 minutes ago, Rhiannon108 said:

By "AVsitter?" do you mean is it an object you sit on that animates your avi? If so, yes.

AVsitter is the name of a specific, very common animation engine, but I think you'd recognize it if that was what the product uses... you'd need to edit a notecard called "AVpos" to get animations into a menu, if you were using that script.

Can you list what script names appear in the contents of the object? (I'm guessing it's a custom job)

(... and it is actually new information that the object is one you sit on in order to be animated, so that may prove useful)

• Thanks 1

I reread the instructions with the object and it does say to just drop anims in and that it can handle any number as long as you don't run out of memory. Also, I sent a notecard to the designer but not hopeful he will answer since his inworld store is gone and it's an older product.

Any chance the missing anim is the one named "Gothic Seductress Slow 6 - Abranimations" ? It seems to be the longest, and longer than 24 characters, and that's the limit on the length of text names in a dialog. But normally it would either shout a nasty debug message the owner would see, or the script would handle it correctly, so maybe that's not the problem.

(If that *is* the problem, maybe try renaming the anim to something shorter?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Any chance the missing anim is the one named "Gothic Seductress Slow 6 - Abranimations" ? It seems to be the longest, and longer than 24 characters, and that's the limit on the length of text names in a dialog. But normally it would either shout a nasty debug message the owner would see, or the script would handle it correctly, so maybe that's not the problem.

(If that *is* the problem, maybe try renaming the anim to something shorter?)

That was it!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

If the creator was lazy like I am, they may have just had the script ignore any names that are too long, to avoid the error. 

Or maybe that's a sign of not being lazy. :) Rather than let the scipt crash, the coder did some sanity checks on the input first (which is actually very wise: all data not supplied by yourself should always be treated as 'tainted', and be dealt with accordingly).

4 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Or maybe that's a sign of not being lazy. :) Rather than let the scipt crash, the coder did some sanity checks on the input first (which is actually very wise: all data not supplied by yourself should always be treated as 'tainted', and be dealt with accordingly).

The not lazy solution would be to generate a numbered list and make the buttons into numbers. Or truncate the name into something readable. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.