camera controls

xBaeBeex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

some help please, i don't know how but my camera keeps zooming just in above my head..and i try to use my mouse wheel to zoom back a bit (i like to see from behind my avatar when i walk and not like 1st person view) .. and when i stop it zooms on the head again, like its struggling against my attempts to zoom back.. 

halp pleasee..??

4 answers to this question

Two possibilities:

1. Could be a viewer setting. Maybe temporarily try a different viewer to see if the same occurs; if not, you'll need to explore how your favored viewer sets the cam position (or just delete all viewer settings and start again), or
  2. Could be a script controlling your cam. I suspect that's the case, and any scripted cam control must be from either an attachment or something you sit on. Even with Experience permissions, scripts only get to control the cam from attachments and sat-upon objects. So, try removing all attachments -- mesh body parts and everything -- and see if the problem goes away. If so, add back the attachments one at a time to see which one was the culprit.

[ETA: You can try these in either order. Frankly, I'd probably try #2 first myself, but it never hurts to have another viewer handy to check stuff like this.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

@xBaeBeex There are settings that control the default camera positions. There are 3... sort of 4 if you count mouse-look or maybe you know it as first person. You can create new 'default' positions for the 3 primary views, rear, front, and side/shoulder.

Camera Position Tips - 2011  Camera controls haven't changed ever since I've been in SL. So, the article is current enough.

Firestorm allows changing the default position on the fly for the rear-view, camera behind. You can use the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys in combinations with the mouse wheel. Pressing ESC returns the camera to the position you have set as default. Pressing Shift-ESC resets the camera to the system default overriding any 'custom default' setting you have made.

There is also a Camera Fly Mode engaged by Shift-Alt-F. This detaches the camera from the avatar. Those of us with a SpaceNavigator, joystick, and other 3D controllers use Fly mode.It is not for use with a mouse. I'm not sure about Trackball controllers. If you have one of these, you may have engaged Fly Mode.

When you ask a tech question include information about which viewer you are using and having a problem in. It is best to just click HELP->About... and grab all the computer and viewer specs.

Viewers do NOT share settings. So, changing settings on one viewer will not affect another brand of viewer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.