Mesh Origin Issues

VirtualKitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have created three objects (that I upload at one in SL), and set the origin in Blender 2.79 . I have created a single node a denoted in several threads to increase the bounding box of my object   in a hopeful attempt to move the origin in SL . this is how it looks in blender

image.thumb.png.6108729b478e3c93f6d3ef869db8b185.png

Now this used to work if you import to SL but it seems something has changed . Is there now a constraint to do this or am i missing something  as it imports with the actual item centre not the bounding box centre?

image.png.bd79e74f6ba495e7bf68c5ccb80d480e.png

Edited by VirtualKitten
Added other image and changed blender version

1 hour ago, VirtualKitten said:

Ok I have managed to take a picture of my node and am not getting any answers as to what i need to solve this import

I suppose by "node" you mean a single loose vertice, not a collapsed triangle. If so, you have to osrt the elements and make the loose vertice no. 1 on the list before you export. If you don't, the uploader will delete it. Put the 3D cursor at the same location as the loose vertice and in the Mesh menu (near the bottom right of the window: Sort elements by Cursor distance.

Hi chin thanks for your reply :)You can see the main item is selected so is the node (single vertice)  My export setting do not have a 'export only selected' either so everything is exported. Is it just because its one single vertices and has to be a empty mesh?

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I suppose by "node" you mean a single loose vertice, not a collapsed triangle. If so, you have to osrt the elements and make the loose vertice no. 1 on the list before you export. If you don't, the uploader will delete it. Put the 3D cursor at the same location as the loose vertice and in the Mesh menu (near the bottom right of the window: Sort elements by Cursor distance.

I have now tried with an empty square mesh joined in place of the node this didn't change the centre point in SL either . If i edit the mesh the box is missing from the import. I really don't know why as its joined to the mesh . It should be there ?

2 minutes ago, VirtualKitten said:

When i try and join these two items it says there is no mesh to join, uh . There must be something i am missing?

Yes. You are working in Object mode. You need to switch to Edit mode for this.

Edit mode is the main mode for making SL or game asset mesh in Blender anyway. The general rule for making render efficient mesh is to work in Edit mode as much as possible, switch to Object or Sculpt mode only when absolutely necessary and when you do, always be prepared to clean up the mesh in Edit mode afterwards.

Repeating what Bitsy and Rey have already said.

1: In Blender start a new file.

2: In Object mode Add your first mesh Primitive (cube, for example).

3: Tab into Edit mode and do all your editing of this primitive. If you need to Add  a new primitive then do this in Edit mode. Adding new primitives or duplicating existing mesh etc in Edit mode will result in in you having a single mesh Object when you tab back out to Object mode. You will have one mesh object to export and import into SL.

Adding new Mesh Primitives in Object mode will result in a new mesh Object each time.

If you have two or more mesh objects and want to join them into a single mesh object then :

In Object mode, select the first object, hold down the Shift key (Shift Select) and one by one select the other objects.

With all the objects selected use the keyboard shortcuts  Ctrl + J to join them into one object.

Now when you Tab into Edit mode you will find that what was previously several objects is now a single editable mesh .

Generally you want to do all your Editing, extruding, rotating, scaling and moving about in Edit mode.

If you do Scale or Rotate your mesh in Object mode then you should Apply the new Scale and Rotation in object mode before Exporting.

(Same applies  when using modifiers on your mesh. Apply Scale and or Rotaion  before using Modifiers)

Ok, now about using a single vertex to increase the size of the bounding box so that the origin (pivot point) appears to be offset when your mesh is rezzed in SL.

Normally single vertices (loose vertices) are automatically deleted when exporting to Collada format.

There is an exception to this. If a vertex is made to be the first in the list of vertices then it will not be deleted.

To make a single vertex first in the list you need to do the following:

1: In Edit mode and with only this vertex selected open the Mesh menu > Sort Elements > Selected.

The Selected Vertex will now be first in the list.

Edit mode:

1.thumb.png.c45766387c8551522f2fd845427d0aea.png

Single mesh object:

2.thumb.png.62163268f751453061a52ea6c5b88e74.png

Offset pivot when rezzed:

rezzed.png.824ae2fed6aac5ed5d23f2c68a12a946.png

Note that if you need a Physics model then the physics model (collision model)  should  also have an extra vertex (edited to be first in the list) and this physics model will need to be Analyzed in the SL  mesh importer.

Recap. Generally do ALL your meshing in Edit mode . ☺️

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was rummaging around in Blender 2.80 beta and noticed that we can see the vertex and or face (or material) order if you enable  Developer Extras in Preferences.

Edit > Preferences > Interface > Display > Developer Extras.

3.png.f53b187b06db284112f42dc2a006b095.png

Then enable Indices in the Overlay drop-down in edit mode of the 3D view-port.

4.thumb.png.a29fa6c4211551999d24f23671c25462.png

We now have visual confirmation, if needed;  that the extra vertex, (using the method mentioned in the previous post) is the first in the list.

5.png.a094733123cfc6cc6a267aad8a493b6c.png

the images are big because otherwise it would be difficult to see the numbers.

Sort faces by material order:

red is first in the list of materials

6.thumb.png.cb2d6d444d6e778db18e9971c16e6d14.png

and now sorted again but this time with green first in the material list:

7.thumb.png.552a34edd5fd65fae4f33deb8945777c.png

Edited by Aquila Kytori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.