threats of posting chat logs to social media - where would one stand.

sophy7777

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

sadly my friend has got herself in a bit of bother and has asked me for my help to see if linden labs TOS has been broken. she has received a threat from a "ex friend" after leaving a bloodline clan. that they were going to "air some dirty laundry" the post he made on fb was he had been up to the "wee hours collecting evidence (note-cards of chat logs) to air the dirty Landry". 

now although not a huge threat its alarming and not fair for anyone to fear the worst. expesualy as they could have chat logs of you and there convo for years and could pick anything to make the other look bad. now i read into the tos and they said that in sl or in the forums that would be against TOS but there was a note. 

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

now this i sadly can accept as its not on second-life or any linden labs website it isn't there. but i also noted that in the TOS there is also 

1.6. You agree to respect the Intellectual Property Rights of other users, Linden Lab, and third parties. You agree that you will not copy, transfer, or distribute outside of Second Life any Content that contains any Linden Content, in whole or in part or in modified or unmodified form, except as allowed by the Snapshot and Machinima Policy, or that infringes or violates any Intellectual Property Rights of Linden Lab, other Content Providers, or any third parties.

so would this count as linden labs property? its a log being taken from there software and service and pasted somewhere else. 

mostly id love any help to reassure my friend shes in a horrendous position and i wish i could give her any advise but as you see im not so savy as i thought i was with what classes as what. 

thanks in advance  

9 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, sophy7777 said:

so would this count as linden labs property? its a log being taken from there software and service and pasted somewhere else. 

no, what is said in SL( including chatlogs) are not protected by TOS when posted on FB or any other forum or social media, ónly at sites that are in control of LL.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox Wijaya said:

no, what is said in SL( including chatlogs) are not protected by TOS when posted on FB or any other forum or social media, ónly at sites that are in control of LL.

thanks was little confused what would count and not. seems like a issue that would need to be raised with fb or other websites/ athorities? 

Just now, sophy7777 said:

thanks was little confused what would count and not. seems like a issue that would need to be raised with fb or other websites/ athorities? 

depending on what

28 minutes ago, sophy7777 said:

dirty Landry".

is... when its only SL information without rl details or other dangerous infomation, your friend won't have a lot of success when contacting others. And he/she will have to open his/her rl identiy to be able to handle on it. If it's only SL gossip not really worth the trouble.

he is threatening to expose privet coversations that COULD do not know for sure yes its a waiting game but could invole rl information of this friend or others with what thy have told this person in the past. it may just be sl gosip but my friend would rather know for the worst posible situation. there for go my questions. 

3 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

depending on what

is... when its only SL information without rl details or other dangerous infomation, your friend won't have a lot of success when contacting others. And he/she will have to open his/her rl identiy to be able to handle on it. If it's only SL gossip not really worth the trouble.

Just now, sophy7777 said:

he is threatening to expose privet coversations that COULD do not know for sure yes its a waiting game but could invole rl information of this friend or others with what thy have told this person in the past. it may just be sl gosip but my friend would rather know for the worst posible situation. there for go my questions. 

sorry forgot to quote you first time love 

4 hours ago, sophy7777 said:

while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

If RL gets involved, all they can do is appeal to rl authorities. Again, that is why it is vital to be very careful in SL with what info you provide to anyone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sophy7777 said:

1.6. You agree to respect the Intellectual Property Rights of other users, Linden Lab, and third parties. You agree that you will not copy, transfer, or distribute outside of Second Life any Content that contains any Linden Content, in whole or in part or in modified or unmodified form, except as allowed by the Snapshot and Machinima Policy, or that infringes or violates any Intellectual Property Rights of Linden Lab, other Content Providers, or any third parties.

This part of the TOS refers to things like objects, sounds, animations, textures, etc. Those are protected by Intellectual Property Rights. Conversations are not.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.