Transparent Back?

Queeer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello ~ I am new to meshing an I have gotten pretty far but I am stuck on this issue I have of the back of my mesh model being transparent from the outside.

I've tried flipping the back side in Marvelous Designer an switching it from triangles to quads but it still hasn't fixed the problem for me.. Maybe I am missing something.

Screenshot for example  - X X X

Typically the transparent face is because the face itself is reversed. I have never seen that in MD but apparently it has happened to you. Since you already tried flipping within MD then likely the only thing to do would be to flip the face using "flip direction" or something similar in your 3D software.  

Actually if I remember correctly -- in Sansar anyway -- MD makes all the faces double sided (hence my not seeing the problem) so likely there IS a way to fix this in MD but I have no clue. 

That seems to be your issue. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe asking on the MD board? 

image.png.e383d3e93b5c113d828cc403d22858bc.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Typically the transparent face is because the face itself is reversed. I have never seen that in MD but apparently it has happened to you. Since you already tried flipping within MD then likely the only thing to do would be to flip the face using "flip direction" or something similar in your 3D software.  

Actually if I remember correctly -- in Sansar anyway -- MD makes all the faces double sided (hence my not seeing the problem) so likely there IS a way to fix this in MD but I have no clue. 

That seems to be your issue. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe asking on the MD board? 

image.png.e383d3e93b5c113d828cc403d22858bc.png

Thank you! I actually figured out how to flip the faces in MD (all you gotta do is select the fact an right click>flip normal)

I got everything worked out so far an I uploaded my mesh model but the inside of it is invisible..? Not sure if that matters in the long run but I also can't figure out how to add it to my body to make it be attached to the torso area correctly. If you have any tips on that it would be appreciated ♥ X X

8 minutes ago, Queeer said:

Thank you! I actually figured out how to flip the faces in MD (all you gotta do is select the fact an right click>flip normal)

I got everything worked out so far an I uploaded my mesh model but the inside of it is invisible..? Not sure if that matters in the long run but I also can't figure out how to add it to my body to make it be attached to the torso area correctly. If you have any tips on that it would be appreciated ♥ X X

Ahh. I thought you had already TRIED flipping the faces and it didn't work.   No great tips. I am not a great clothes maker. Just enjoy and have fun.  

For SL you have to RIG the garment to the skeleton which is a HUGE job.  If you are just practicing you might want to go to Sansar and use the auto uploader. A few different steps on exporting but that info should be in the knowledge base. When you get some clothes that are starting to look good, then you can research the rigging part.  Again VERY complex.   I guess I though you  already knew about that, hence my screenshot from Blender :D.

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Ahh. I thought you had already TRIED flipping the faces and it didn't work.   No great tips. I am not a great clothes maker. Just enjoy and have fun.  

For SL you have to RIG the garment to the skeleton which is a HUGE job.  If you are just practicing you might want to go to Sansar and use the auto uploader. A few different steps on exporting but that info should be in the knowledge base. When you get some clothes that are starting to look good, then you can research the rigging part.  Again VERY complex.   I guess I though you  already knew about that, hence my screenshot from Blender :D.

Good luck. 

Ahh well I actually already rigged the top to my skeleton in blender with avastar 2.. I uploaded the mesh model an when I add it, it only add to my hand or something like that. Is there a step I am missing? Could you DM me maybee? I am really trying to figure this out because I think its just a small part im skipping or something.

2 minutes ago, Queeer said:

Ahh well I actually already rigged the top to my skeleton in blender with avastar 2.. I uploaded the mesh model an when I add it, it only add to my hand or something like that. Is there a step I am missing? Could you DM me maybee? I am really trying to figure this out because I think its just a small part im skipping or something.

I am not your gal. Have NO CLUE how to get rigged clothing into SL. Sorry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Queeer said:

I'm not the right person to answer this either but obviously what happens is that your mesh is uploaded as rigid mesh without the rigging. It may be some step you missed in Blander or it may be some export or import setting you overlooked. Have you checked Aine's mesh rigging tutorial? It's a bit outdated but still one of the best, possibly the best, intoductions to Avastar and rigging for SL and there's a good chance the answer is there. The first chapter is here: http://ainetutorials.blogspot.com/2015/11/tutorial-principles-of-blender-rigging.html Links to the other chapters in the right column of the page.

If that doesn't help, I suppose we'll have to try to page @OptimoMaximo :)

16 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Slightly off topic but perhaps it's a good idea to explain this a little bit in detail since it is something that comes up every now and then. Keywords here are "backface" and "backface culling" - good words to remember if you want to sound like a mesh expert. ;)

A basic mesh poly is a single surface and only a single surface, an only visible from the side the normals associated with it are pointing towards. However, many mesh applications add a "backface" - a mirror image of the poly with normals pointing in the opposite direction. If the application doesn't doesn't add those backfaces, we say it has "backface culling" (the term is a bit misleading since it implies that the backface is there to start with).

Normally you don't want backfaces in a game or other dynamic virtual reality. Not only do they add quite a bit to the render cost, they can also interfere with the looks. Second Life uses its own simplified mesh system and has backfaces turned off permanently. More advanced engines, like Unity and UE4, have backfaces turned off by default but will allow you to enable them for the few situations where they actually are useful. (I'm very surprised if Sansar has mandatory backfaces - or even backfaces on by default. If that really is the case, I suspect it's yet another example of the Sansar developers forgetting to do their homework.)

Unlike VR/game engines, render cost is not an issue for 3D modelling programs and backfaces are usually very useful when you edit a mesh so those programs will have backfaces switched on by default. Advanced mesh editors like Blender, Maya etc., will allow you to switch backfaces off, more basic ones may not. This ca be a bit of a problem when you're buiding for a 3D environment since what you see in the editor isn't what you actually end up withbut you get sued to that fast and it doesn't take that many flipped normals msitakes before you catch on and remember to take it into account.

Edited by ChinRey

4 hours ago, Queeer said:

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

...what happens is that your mesh is uploaded as rigid mesh without the rigging...

The most common cause for a mesh uploading without the rigging is forgetting to check "with bone weights " on either the exporter to create the .dae or in the upload of it to SL.

I know that's like asking "have you tried turning it off and on again" but its easy to reach for the upload button and forget one checkbox...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

The most common cause for a mesh uploading without the rigging is forgetting to check "with bone weights " on either the exporter to create the .dae or in the upload of it to SL.

Thank you. I suspected it might be something like that but I'm not an expert so I couldn't really say much about it.

28 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

and forget one checkbox...

Forget one checkbox? That's really careless! I've never done anything like that myself ... except for a few thousand times but that doesn't count.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.