Make SL Viewer Update to Its Current Directory?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

heyas guys;

before i try to contact customer support (since i haven't found anything about this, searching around)...  my second life viewer keeps automatically updating when i start it.  and i noticed it was putting the update in the wrong directory (ie: the default directory of c:\ProgramFiles\SecondLife).  that's... not where my second life viewer lives.

aside from manually uninstalling and reinstalling it, is there any way to get the automatic updates to go to the right place?

i don't suppose i could just grab the whole thing from C drive and throw it where it goes...?  (ah, how i long for the good old days.)  ; p

thanks!

The update is putting it where it is supposed to go. Whenever the place is that you are trying to update to may not be the right place (maybe an old place).

Guaranteed fix:

Uninstall the viewer completely, including and especially any and all shortcuts/aliases.

Download a fresh copy from SL Downloads page.

Install a new.

Everything should work just fine, including updates, after that.

If you insist on keeping your viewer installation where it lives now then you must suffer any consequence of that stubbornness. :)

18 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The update is putting it where it is supposed to go. Whenever the place is that you are trying to update to may not be the right place (maybe an old place).

Guaranteed fix:

Uninstall the viewer completely, including and especially any and all shortcuts/aliases.

Download a fresh copy from SL Downloads page.

Install a new.

Everything should work just fine, including updates, after that.

If you insist on keeping your viewer installation where it lives now then you must suffer any consequence of that stubbornness. :)

And people wonder why I so dislike automated update systems ... Sorry, badly coded automated update systems.

45 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

And people wonder why I so dislike automated update systems ... Sorry, badly coded automated update systems.

Well, I never said it was a good system. LOL

3 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

I'm surprised we still don't have proper MMO-like launcher to update the client.

I don't know about that. I also play a couple of those and the forums there *hate, Hate, HATE* that system.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodsong Termagant said:

my second life viewer keeps automatically updating when i start it

Delete your viewer shortcut & create a new one.
Since the LL Bugsplat viewer was promoted to release, the way the updater & launcher work has changed.
Previously the shortcut would point to SL_Launcher.exe - SL_Launcher would check for updates & then launch the viewer exe.
Now, the shortcut needs to point to SecondLifeViewer.exe again & the updates are handled by SLVersionChecker.exe.
Attempting to launch the viewer via the old shortcut will cause constant viewer updates to the same viewer version.

3 hours ago, Bloodsong Termagant said:

and i noticed it was putting the update in the wrong directory (ie: the default directory of c:\ProgramFiles\SecondLife).  that's... not where my second life viewer lives.

aside from manually uninstalling and reinstalling it, is there any way to get the automatic updates to go to the right place?

No.
The viewer updater will automatically install the viewer to the location where you last installed a LL viewer to.
So if you have more then one Linden Lab viewer version installed you need to always update manually or risk the update being installed to the incorrect folder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, Alyona Su said:

Well, I never said it was a good system. LOL

I don't know about that. I also play a couple of those and the forums there *hate, Hate, HATE* that system.

It's the only correct way of doing so and feasible too.

You generally always want people on the latest version in an MMO. It would be stupid if balance changes would only be for those who updated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.