secondlife on wifi what viewer you use

Alexa Dallas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a reason why the first bit of advice to users on WiFi is don't use WiFi.

Despite what others may try and claim, WiFi is not a truly viable solution outside of mobile devices. Doubly so if you've got several high bandwidth devices connected to the same antenna.

If you insist on using WiFi, make certain you're connected to the 5G antenna (if you have one) and that you have as few other devices as possible connected at the same time. Phones and tablets won't be too much of a drain as long as they aren't constantly shuttling traffic.

Do note that all of this only applies if your "crashes" pop up a message complaining that you've lost connection to the sim. Almost any other error is something else.

ALL SL Viewers are based on the same base released by LL. They all share the exact same networking code, they have to .. or they wouldn't work.

Getting disconnected and seeing the pop up message means there has been no communication between your viewer and the server for 60 seconds, kinda indicates your WIFI is pretty terrible. A broken or intermittent connection is at the heart of almost all the common SL viewer problems you are likely to encounter. 

Use a cabled connection.

If a cabled connection is impossible then my best advise would be to move closer to your router, preferably with line of sight or at least trying to eliminate the amount of stuff the signal has to pass though. It's not going to fix your issues but might make them more tolerable, see Ethernet cable.

21 hours ago, Sexy Jinn said:

what viewer do you guys use if on wifi when on secondlife and have no issues with i do get the crashing and disconnecting often on Firestorm so im just wondering if there is a better viewer that might have more luck  that will have less crashing and disconnecting

I'm using wifi with my laptop and run the SecondLife viewer, Firestorm, and Singularity. I have no issues at all with disconnects, lag or freezing, (when I have seen slow rezzing I get the same problem on the desktop machine that is cabled and suspect it is network bottlenecks between my ISP and the States). I used to have the laptop cabled as well, but after stealing the patch cord for a quick fix elsewhere and reverting to wifi I saw no difference at all in performance.

The router is in the same room, mounted as high as I can get it, so that there is less chance of my standing in the way of the signal path. When I tried using the laptop in a different room a few years back I did get problems similar to those you have described. 

The bandwidth setting you choose might be a factor in crashes and freezes if you have gone too high. Try lowering it and see if that improves things. Another tweak worth experimenting with is the draw distance, I rarely go above 96 now.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

This whole hate over wifi is a similar story to why some people seriously think AMD cards won't work with SL. 

Wifi used to be terrible, nowadays modern wifi connectivity is more than enough for SL to run without issues, I've been using wifi on SL for years on multiple viewers and never had any network related issues, and I don't have some fancy home networking setup either.

Same thing with the whole bandwidth settings thing, it's 2019, we're not running 200kbps broadband anymore.

3 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Your personal experience doesn't mean other people don't have numerous problems. I've spent more time than I care to count helping users with packet loss problems caused by a poor WIFI reception.

i have problems some days and some days i dont as my internet is what they call line of sight so dish to tower but i do get over 15mbps so i may have it set to low and it just cant download the textures fast enough it is set like at 500kbps right now

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.