Estate land being sold as new mainland?

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A curious auction I noticed led me to visit "Flyingroc Chung" - which appears to be a sim with most of the land owned by Anshe Chung, but a mainland descriptor and covenant, selling in mainland auctions, in a spot on the map that I've never seen before.

Is LL's buying back estates and converting them to mainland or am I misreading this?

Cerise wrote:

That block to the right of Sansara is mainland, it was developed by ACS but it is LL land. Many of the regions there are named after old SL avatars.

^^ that. These were developed by Chung as part of a specific arrangement back in the dim and distant past. I lived in one of them, Hundertwasser, for a couple years back in '06-'08.  They've been there, in the same spot, for a good long time. 

ETA: Here's a shot of Sansara from June '06. You can see both North and South Islandia where they are today. They've been there. :-)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ah ok. Must just be a lot of action there recently. Half the place is up for sale and half is still owned by Chung.

The layout is... well... very unmainlandish...
;)

Yes. The layout has never exactly been popular. Just a bunch of lumped together, flat, square islands. Hundertwasser, where I was, had only one 16 or 32m parcel of Chung's by the time I left, but I suspect a lot of it was and is still there's. 

It's great, I suppose, if all you want is a flad, square island. Or say if your name if Flyingroc Chung, Nimrod Yaffle (who has/had a shop in his namesake region), or Obscuro Valkyrie. ;-)

Actually, the date of your map would be be sometime between 18 February and 9 July 2007. I can tell by comparing the configuration of Maroon with my land purchase records. Your date of June is probably correct, but it would be 2007 instead of 2006.

Below is a map of northern Sansara around October 2006:

Sansara_003.jpg

Deltango Vale wrote:

Actually, the date of your map would be be sometime between 18 February and 9 July 2007. I can tell by comparing the configuration of Maroon with my land purchase records. Your date of June is probably correct, but it would be 2007 instead of 2006.

I suspect you're right: I was going by the caption that went along with the photo as seen at http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/File:Sansara_c_200706.jpg - which has a June '07 update date -- and a file name that likely reads as 2006/06 (june). Further, said user was the source of a lot of odd names for continents that were seemingly of their own creation, and not backed up by any other source.

• 1 month later...

That was an experiment Linden Lab tried around 2006, after they deleted the telehubs and paid compensation for telehub land to Anshe Chung and other telehub sim owners. Then they tried to think what they could put out to get them to buy land again. And that was it -- mainland that was sellable in parcels (islands were not yet able to be divided into parcels) and that looked like islands.

They were called "bulk sims' because you could buy them in bulk, or last Anshe could. She was also allowed to name them (as were others) and they gave them the name of famous scientists and also famous residents, hence, Flyingroc Chung.

They weren't flat and boring at all, but hugely in demand. People *want* flat sandy waterfront, and this is what they got.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.