Copywrite issues in RL

workfromhome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When using pictures of Avatars, scenery and objects in from SL, that get published in RL for profit (magazines or books etc), are there any legal issues I need to know about?

I've tried looking up the issue on the Q&A section, but I can't seem to find a answer.  Also what isn't helping is the pages and pages of stuff to try sift though.  Been slightly dyslexic isn't helping with that.  All I get is a headache and more confused.

4 answers to this question

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy

the best advice given, if you have questions about this, because its a quite complicated thing : If you seek legal advice about a specific situation, we suggest contacting a lawyer. Linden Lab cannot provide you with legal advice.

note: if a landowner did NOT give permission to make shots and it's mentioned as not allowed on his land, ... you'r violating this terms. Think there aren't that many places what forbid it.  For machinima you need permission from everybody who's recognizable in your product.(exceptions mentioned in the concerning section)

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 2

Pull this thread over to the side of the road.  This is the Grammar Police!

It's copyright, not "copywrite".  A copyright is a right to copy.  Yes, it is often associated with written material, but that doesn't make "copywrite" right!

I'm writing you a ticket.

• Like 1

There is the letter of the ToS and law of the country you are in or where the material will appear.

Then comes the practical reality. Will the person suing be able to collect enough money to pay their attorneys? This sets the limits of hobby vs business. are 10 people or a million people going to see it? Is it going to trigger the snowflakes? Is it controversial in such a way as to bring out Antifa, ISIS, the religious right, the LGBTQ crowd...

If you are flying under these limits, copyright is a non-issue. It is a matter of the amount of risk you want to take.

If you want to avoid all risk, have an attorney figure it out. There are attorneys that work with this community. There are some in-world that may give you an opinion on the cheap or have free information on their websites.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.