FollyToBeWise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I never know how to start these posts but maybe I should give you a little background - I am Rhae and this is my first year on Second Life. About three or four of the nine months I've been on SL, I've been away, but I've always been curious about building mesh. Granted, part of the reason I started wanting to do it was because I couldn't always find what I want, but I've finally decided to take the initiative and start by, well, getting Blender. 

I've looked up tutorials, scrolled through pages, but all of it is too advanced for someone who doesn't even know how to adjust the camera view yet. I've spent few minutes, learned few of the basics, and plan to keep at it until I am comfortable with the controls. But, as someone with anxiety, the fact that I don't even know what the next step is - is a little unsettling to me. 

If I asked you for a guide, for a 101, for a list of what you should get or what you should learn first - what would you include in it? I feel at loss, because my brain is shouting words I've read over and over again like 'rigging' and 'texturing' and 'baking' and 'developers kit' when I don't even know what I would need to start. I don't want to make clothes, for example, that are for standard sizes (alone). It feels a lot like attempting to learn a language without knowing the alphabets. And I don't know, I want a place to start. A list of essential programs and add-ons and items as well as a list of, well, what you should learn.

Obviously, once I cover the basic and learn to be comfortable with it, the rest would come from tutorials and blogs and forum posts but... I'd benefit from having a place to start and others might, too!

Thank you and I am sorry for rambling.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FollyToBeWise said:

as someone with anxiety, the fact that I don't even know what the next step is - is a little unsettling to me. 

Blender is anxiety provoking even for someone who doesn't experience anxiety on a frequent basis. With anxiety one needs to take care not to feel overwhelmed as this is the point most people start believing they just can't accomplish a goal and so give up.
I recommend taking a class in a group where you can seek help from either the group or the teacher whenever you get stuck. Plus, it's structured in smaller steps and so as long as you complete each lesson you don't need to feel overwhelmed by anything too complex or beyond your skill level.
There's a new class starting up on Monday at the BlenderBenders group. Look up that group inworld and join it, and they will announce what time it starts and where to go.
Good luck!  And remember, stuck places are really a gift, because once you become unstuck you've learned something new! :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Hello @FollyToBeWise

you start here:

And do the entire playlist.

You are an absolute angel.

10 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Blender is anxiety provoking even for someone who doesn't experience anxiety on a frequent basis. With anxiety one needs to take care not to feel overwhelmed as this is the point most people start believing they just can't accomplish a goal and so give up.
I recommend taking a class in a group where you can seek help from either the group or the teacher whenever you get stuck. Plus, it's structured in smaller steps and so as long as you complete each lesson you don't need to feel overwhelmed by anything too complex or beyond your skill level.
There's a new class starting up on Monday at the BlenderBenders group. Look up that group inworld and join it, and they will announce what time it starts and where to go.
Good luck!  And remember, stuck places are really a gift, because once you become unstuck you've learned something new! :)

I will consider that! Thank you, so much! (Though, I am not good with classes, I do want to learn and the structure could help)

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, Aedan Charron said:

udemy.com

I've taken classes there, and yes it's a great place. But, each class is only as good as the teacher...fortunately you can see a little sample of each class and get an idea if you mesh well with the teacher..

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:51 PM, FollyToBeWise said:

I am not good with classes

I typically don't like classes either...especially if the class only consists of the teacher talking...as they can forget important aspects when just winging it (especially with technical stuff).

But, these classes at Blender Benders are different from typical group learning...Grahm plays a few videos we watch in class,  and then the students can ask for clarification. Then the students practice during the week and perhaps come up with more questions the following week. And there's homework, though not compulsory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.