SL is Auto Logging Me Off

MistressBambi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I've not been on SL for a while and decided to boot up my old account. It logs me on for a moment and then after a minute, auto logs me off each time. I'm unsure what to do. I have fibre internet, a computer with solid ram and graphics and have opened the program up to my firewalls. So I don't know what to do.

Bambi

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, MistressBambi said:

Hi,

I've not been on SL for a while and decided to boot up my old account. It logs me on for a moment and then after a minute, auto logs me off each time. I'm unsure what to do. I have fibre internet, a computer with solid ram and graphics and have opened the program up to my firewalls. So I don't know what to do.

Bambi

Open the viewer.  No need to log in but go to HELP - ABOUT  and paste all the details it gives you here.  That will help people start to diagnose your problem

• Like 2

Second Life Release 6.0.1.522263 (64bit)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz (2594 MHz)
Memory: 8111 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 940M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.21.14.1722
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.22

Window size: 1600x837
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 4
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: January 13 2019 04:25:46

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
January 13 2019 06:11:54

The high bandwidth setting can definitely cause issues, but it's possible other things are at play also.  Definitely drop that down to anywhere from 800-1500.

Log in and click Ctrl+Shift+1 to bring up the Statistics window.  Watch that for a short bit, paying attention to the Packet Loss and Ping Sim values up near the top:
image.png.9404fa69e4677ef1a6ecbecf065e51eb.png

If the packet loss shows anything higher than 0.01% (more than randomly) or if you are getting high Ping times, then your connection needs to be looked at.  

If those numbers look fine, Click Me / Preferences from the menu.  Go to the Graphics tab and start with moving the upper slider down to Mid.  Let things run like that for a bit and see if you stay connected longer.

Also - What message, if any, do you get when you are get logged out?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
Typo
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Make sure you do not have it set in preferences to auto-log-out when afk and that afk timer is set to a really low number.

Does the SL viewer have a setting to log you out when you go AFK?  I know that Firestorm does, but I couldn't find such a setting in the SL viewer.  Granted, I don't use that one enough to know what might be buried in a Preferences tab somewhere.  I did log in with the SL viewer and set my AFK to 2 minutes, but it still didn't log me out after 10 minutes - just dropped my head and labeled me as 'Away'. 

Per the About info posted, it is the SL viewer that they are using.

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Does the SL viewer have a setting to log you out when you go AFK?  I know that Firestorm does, but I couldn't find such a setting in the SL viewer.  Granted, I don't use that one enough to know what might be buried in a Preferences tab somewhere.  I did log in with the SL viewer and set my AFK to 2 minutes, but it still didn't log me out after 10 minutes - just dropped my head and labeled me as 'Away'. 

I did assume the OP was using the SL viewer, which might be an invalid assumption.

You assumed they were using the SL viewer I assumed they might have been using FS, so we both made assumptions and either could be correct.

I don't think the SL viewer has it.

10 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

You assumed they were using the SL viewer I assumed they might have been using FS, so we both made assumptions and either could be correct.

I did assume that at first (per my initial posting), but right after I posted I actually scrolled up and checked the info they had posted - and then modified my post to remove the 'assumption' part of my post.

image.png.85974804056e39b8603d79814723847d.png

7 minutes ago, MistressBambi said:

packet loss that high is caused by your connection, and will crash you nearly instantly, dont get me wrong, doesn't mean it's at YOUR personal side, but most likely at you ISP's side or somewhere between them and the WWW somewhere. The only thing you can do is go wired and reset your modem/router. All what causes this problem before it enters your home is in your ISP's hands.

I think you have to contact your isp and let them check some things after explaining what you encounter.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MistressBambi said:

Thanks, my WiFi with everything else has been fine, it's just SL where it's an ass. But using my LAN, Packet Loss still occurs, but it doesn't log out.

The issue is that most games have you download a client that contains almost all of the content, thus those games can easily handle some connection issues.  Using the internet for any non-gaming use (general web browsing, reading articles, online shopping, various social pages, etc..) is simply feeding your computer a single page of static text with maybe some images.  With SL, all content is user created and thus must constantly be downloaded wherever you are at.  That means that SL requires pretty much constant back and forth communication - and packet loss is a killer for that.

The blog article that I linked talks about tracing the connection -- try that to see where it might be bogging down.  Sometimes you can change to a different DNS server and get a different route that bypasses the problem - and sometimes you have to talk to your ISP about why a specific route has an issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.