joining parcels of group owned land

Morena Tully

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For group doesn't matter if the owned land is one parcel or more smaller parcels. What matters is if there is donated enough from Premium members - if two Premium accounts donate 100% of their tier to the group, the group can own 2x1024 m2 + 10% group bonus. 

Just keep in mind, the parcels must be owned by the group, not by the avatars. (Because you ask "if two premium alts buy".)

You need to create the group first, to donate the tier to the group and then to buy the land for the group, not for the avatars.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I wasn't specific enough.. The 2 other accounts would buy for group and it would be directly group owned for both of the 1024s, with their contributions entered in the group land panel.. The whole thing has me rather confused.. I have my main parcel as group owned already, and was going to make it larger using alts.

So, if they never even actually buy the two parcels, just enter their contribution in the group panel, it doesn't matter which avatar actually buys for group? Like I could buy for group on my main, and it wouldn't affect my tier? Or do they need to physically do the buying(for group) I don't know why I'm having  a hard time wrapping my head around this. I think I understand that tier for the alts is only going to be determined by their stated contribution.

Doesn't matter who will make the click on "buy for group" button, the avatar only need role in the group which will allow them to buy land for the group.

"YOU" as avatar will never own the land - the owner will be the group, so your personal tier won't be affected. Just be sure you won't click on wrong action and you will buy the land for the group, not for yourself. The group must be active (aka group tag above your head) to do so.

@Lindal Kidd is the best person to ask for more details or help :)

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the replies :)  And the group is just my personal group I've had for like 10+ years, nobody in it but me and alts, so it made sense to try out this option. I've always just been owning land on my single account, and it made sense to figgure out how the deeding works. I guess I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks.... It's not pretty. Now just waiting for LL to set that abandoned land I'm drooling over! Hmm.. I hope I can buy for group if it's set to sell to me. Argh.. land headaches!

I own only one parcel, but I wanted the group bonus, so I went thru the process of buying land for the group as well, despite fact I got only one Prem. in the group. And you aren't alone who has hard time to wrap head around it, I would even say there is "a trap" waiting for us to make the wrong click or wrong step in the process, to make us easily to pay additional tier for entire month for owning the bigger land for 5 minutes ... 

2 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

So my question is, if two premium alts buy two 1024 parcels adjoining a larger group owned parcel, and then all land is joined into one parcel, will the two accounts get bumped up on tier because it's no longer the free size?

What @loverdag says, but I did this, so I'll explain it step-by step - mostly for NEW readers to this thread:

My scenario: One 2048 parcel ( with no land-use fees; lowest tier (zero)) and I wanted a second 2048 parcel in another location for a "slow move" from one to the other over a month to take my time and allow time for the first to sell on land market:

I had one group I wanted to use: "deeded" the land to that group (Let's call it OldGroup). Then I opened the Group Properties, went to the "Land" tab - there is a place there where you can donate Square Meters. I donated 1024. Went to my alt and donated 1024 to the same group.

Now that group has a "bank" of 1024 square meters it can own (plus a 10% bonus - but nevermind that for now).

Now wanted a second parcel...

We created a new group - we'll call it NewGroup - then tried to donate M2 to NewGroup - but cannot! Requires step 1: Go to SL Account page and Land Management, it shows how much (if any) you already obligate yourself for (either directly owning land or donating to a group) - below that is the Tier ladder, it is there to protect you from accidentally donating too much M2 to groups, etc. I had to set it higher - from 1024 to 2048. This does not raise my obligated tier (I don't have to pay this amount because I don't own that much land or donate that much to a group).

Now that I have "authorized" up to 2048 M2 to be donated, I donated 1024 to NewGroup (Note: you have to activate (wear) the group before you can donate any M2 to it). My partner in crime did the same thing (my alt). So now we each have 2048 M2 donated to groups: 1024 donated to OldGroup and another 1024 donated to NewGroup - so we are each now bumped up to 2048 tier, which is (as of this writing) $7 a month.

Now, *wearing* NewGroup tag, we can find a nice 2048 parcel and right-click to get Parcel Information and below the "BUY" button is "Buy for Group" - Now - even when buying for the group, the money to pay for the land must still be in *your* wallet!

There, now the land is purchased and automatically "deeded to group".

Now we set OldParcel for sale and immediately remove the donated M2 from OldGroup. Even though Old Group does not have any M2 donated to it, the land owned by that group will have a month-long (in my experience) grace period before the land is automatically abandoned. This leaves time for that land to sell (which it did in about a week) - the money from the sale goes to the group, then (On Tuesdays, I think) all money owned by the group is distributed evenly to the members of the group.

And since we immediately removed the M2 donation from Old Group - we won't forget to do that. Then go into account page and set tier limit back to zero and confirm that only 1024 M2 is obligated for (which puts us into the free tier category).

Done.

Edit to add for clarification: We removed the donated square meters from OldGroup immediately so we do not forget to do it later: we already will each pay $7 for the extra land we owned for a week.

By removing the donated M2 from OldGroup now - even before it sells will save us money when that $7 is taken; it will not automatically renew with another $7 (if we forget to remove that donation or timing is wrong, etc.). So for a one time $7 "rental period" it was a stress-free experience of moving from one location to another and have lots of time to sell the old land without incurring any additional RL money-costs. Worth seven measly bucks in my opinion, less than the cost for a single yuppy cup of coffee! :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 2

@Morena Tully,

Well, either you will need more Premium members donating tier to the group, or SOMEbody is going to wind up paying more tier.

Let's say your group owns a 2048 parcel in the region.  Your group has two Premium members, and they each donate their 1024 "free" tier allowance to the group.  Great, the group's tier is covered, and nobody is paying tier to LL.

Now, Scenario A:  Two additional Premium members join the group, and donate THEIR 1024 allowances to the group.  Now you can buy two more 1024 parcels in the region, and if they are adjoining, you can join them into one big 4096 parcel.  No one pays monthly tier...but you've also added two Premium members to your group.

And, Scenario B:  Your group consists of just you and your alt.  Your main account is the only Premium member.  You donate 2048 m2 of tier to the group, and pay a monthly tier fee of $7 (1024 free + 1024 paid).  Now, you buy two more 1024 parcels in the region.  You now have 1024 free + 3 x 1024 paid worth of land, and have to pay tier on that 3 x 1024.  That happens to be more than 2048, and less than 4096, so you'd pay tier at the 4096 level, or $22 per month.

But we haven't taken the 10% group bonus into account...let's see if that would help.  We'd like to pay no more than the 2048 tier level, or $13 per month.  We could donate up to 1024 free + 2048 = 3,072 m2.  With the bonus, the group becomes able to own up to 3072 x 1.10 = 3379 m2.  Darn, still not enough to cover our 4096 combined parcel, so we do have to pay the $22 per month.  However, on the bright side, if we go ahead and donate 1024 free + 4096 paid = 5,120 m2 of tier to the group, the group can then own 5120 x 1.10 = 5,632 m2, and you would not pay any more money for tier.  This bonus factor works for Scenario A too...you and three Premium friends can use a group to own 5632 m2, while each of you donates only your free 1024 to the group.

@Alyona Su,

If you are selling a group owned parcel and buying another, you can avoid moving into a higher tier bracket.  Just remove your tier donation to the first group.  You'll get a warning message that your group doesn't have enough tier to cover its land costs, but if you sell the land within a day or two (and the tier date is a ways off) you can ignore the warning.  Then donate the tier to the new group and buy the new land.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:33 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

@Alyona Su,

If you are selling a group owned parcel and buying another, you can avoid moving into a higher tier bracket.  Just remove your tier donation to the first group.  You'll get a warning message that your group doesn't have enough tier to cover its land costs, but if you sell the land within a day or two (and the tier date is a ways off) you can ignore the warning.  Then donate the tier to the new group and buy the new land.

I agree. Though we were already committed into that 4096 tier level, I didn't mention that the "move" took place over about a month. We maintained both 2038 parcels for about three or four weeks. If the plan was to make the move within a week or so, then we definitely would have done it the way you suggest. :)

On 1/8/2019 at 12:08 PM, Morena Tully said:

Yes, I wasn't specific enough.. The 2 other accounts would buy for group and it would be directly group owned for both of the 1024s, with their contributions entered in the group land panel.. The whole thing has me rather confused.. I have my main parcel as group owned already, and was going to make it larger using alts.

So, if they never even actually buy the two parcels, just enter their contribution in the group panel, it doesn't matter which avatar actually buys for group? Like I could buy for group on my main, and it wouldn't affect my tier? Or do they need to physically do the buying(for group) I don't know why I'm having  a hard time wrapping my head around this. I think I understand that tier for the alts is only going to be determined by their stated contribution.

I have a tutorial on grouping land here. (Go in the little post office building with the awning and red banner by the goat yard).

If three friends decide to group land, each using their "free" 1024, the resulting total of land of 3072 they obtain by each deeding their land to the group *with contribution of tier* does not put any of them over tier. They are making a contribution to a group which shows up on their account and their tier will be reflected as "0 remaining" once they make that contribution.

If they get 3072 as contributions, let's say, then they get 307 m as the 10% discount of a bonus.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.