Land on the beta grid

chibiusa Ling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I keep seeing land for sale on the beta grid. I have no intention of buying any as the sandboxes on beta do me just fine. BUT, I always wondered. Does it count toward your allowed tier and do you need premium?. Is there even any point in purchasing land on the beta grid given its a beta grid and can change at anytime?.

Enlighten me people! 

the beta grid is independent of the main grid.  It was made to simulate the main grid, including parcel sales, ownership and management. LL give us a L$ allowance on beta grid (a L$ balance which is independent of main grid) to allow us to test stuff to do with money

most people who have parcels on the beta grid got them when it first opened and have retained them ever since. Which does make it more difficult sometimes for later signups to test and experiment with scripts and stuff that have to do with land

sometimes I think that parcels on the beta grid should be sandboxed - time limited. So that people can grab a parcel to test stuff on, knowing that in x hours/days/weeks  the parcel is going to be reclaimed by the estate and reset for sale to Anyone. It might have to be altered so that Anyone means anyone other than the previous owner 

In the olden days (like 12 years ago) there was a fairly active community over on the beta grid with lovely houses and shops and even "copies" of some of the existing (and now some are gone) original SL sims.  As I understood it also, most of the folks there had plots from "the great beginning".  There were some for sale and you could apparently buy. Back then they gave you odd amounts of "free lindens" and sometimes lots == like 44,000 or whatever. A few of us were going to go together and buy a parcel there. Back then it was SO MUCH CALMER than the main grids where were very much griefer havens. 

But now it seems that while it LOOKS like there are plots for sale the lots are not really there. At least I couldn't find any active "for sale" places that you could teleport too.  Nowadays Lani is always on a mesh sandbox so it is definitely not the same as it was. I see a couple of actual sims and one with a person there, but most seem to be fictitious. And, even back then, your sim could disappear at any time. So no guarantees.

image.thumb.png.6e9da683529b74f174ceae783f57d550.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellestones said:

thanks Chic for the map view

i haven't been on the beta grid since forever. Is interesting to see how many parcels there are for sale now. Not sure why that is when back in the day was not all that many

A lot of those for sale signs on the map don't resolve to regions on the beta grid. They point to void.

I had my region copied to the Beta Grid, way, way, way, way back. Not sure if it's still there, I should check one day.

I've tried bying a parcel though, it doesn't work. The sale never completes.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.