Attachment for walking on walls?

AngstyJellyfish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know there are raycasting scripts for walking on walls and ceilings that are placed in an object and you have to sit on the object for it to work. As is it won't work if you attach the object to your avatar. Is there a way to change the raycasting script so it works as an avatar attachment automatically when attached? Or a different script for walking on walls that can be place in a object, attached to the avatar, and automatically functions upon attachment?

8 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This one isn't for "walking" on walls, but "climbing" them.  Maybe something similar could do what you're looking for, if it had different animations?  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Climb-HUD/9554785  NOTE:  I have not tested this device, I'm just going by its description.

I'm looking for a script, not a device or hud. I want to make the object myself and have it be an attachment to the avatar. It also needs to work automatically instead of being turned off and on like that device and not require special buttons for up and down. Essentially, when the avatar walks towards the wall they should just start walking up the wall when they reach it instead of being stopped by it. The raycasting script is great and does just that, but it requires the object it is placed in to be rezzed and sat on and doesn't function when attached to the avatar like I need it to.

you may atract a scripter if you post your description in Help Wanted

this is doable as you are wanting but isnot a trivial script. It needs a whole replacement movement system that can negate the effects of the normal avatar physics system

a example of the complexities involved is Flight Feather by Argent Stonecutter. Which was made way back in the day to overcome the then limits of avatar flight. Flight Feather is a whole enhancement for the then avatar physics system. I think Flight Feather is still available on his inworld parcel as a curio. Am also pretty sure that Argent has the script as opensource/mod as I remember, and as I haven't looked at that script for at least 6 years now and probably more like 10 years

what your scripter would have to do is make something similar to the Flight Feather system modded for advanced walks. For example, walking up a wall, walking across a ceiling, requires force to be applied to counteract gravity

Edited by ellestones
types

I can't imagine a way to make an attachment control the position of the avatar as you want. The basic logic is that if an avatar sits on something, that something then controls the position of the avatar becoming the armature's parent. The avatar is an attachment of whatever it sits on. Sort of part of the linkset.

When you add an attachment to an avatar it links to an armature attachment point and becomes a part of the armature hierarchy and a child in that hierarchy. AFAIK, there is no way to make an attachment parent the armature. Your script would have to be able to parent the armature to control its location and rotation. There are no kinematics built into the avatar's armature. Pulling on a hand or foot doesn't do anything. Every motion of the avatar starts at its root, pelvis. The child motions are generally rotations where the child-bone further down the hierarchy is rotated in relation to the immediate parent. The pelvis is the top parent and the point where avatar motion is applied.

Any sit, chair or dance machine, movs the pelvis in relation to the avatars location in the world. The rest of the animation moves the children of the pelvis. 

Avatars appear to sit when you 'sit on an object' because a default sit animation plays. But, the avatar does not have to appear to sit, you can have the object use any animation in place of a sit animation. You should be able to script your walker as if it were a vehicle... well similar, and have it play a walking animation.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

just add

the animation part is the easiest bit. Make a walking animation in each orientation. 0, 90, 180 and 270.  Play as appropriate in each of the 4 states.  0 - Walk on ground. 1 - Walk up the wall. 2 - Walk upside down on ceiling. 3 - Walk down the wall

Create backwards walk animations if wanted for each of the 4 states

the hard part is scripting a own movement engine that can hold/stick the avatar to the 4 state surfaces as it moves. Flight Feather shows the framework of the kinda engine that is needed

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I can't imagine a way to make an attachment control the position of the avatar as you want. The basic logic is that if an avatar sits on something, that something then controls the position of the avatar becoming the armature's parent. The avatar is an attachment of whatever it sits on. Sort of part of the linkset.

When you add an attachment to an avatar it links to an armature attachment point and becomes a part of the armature hierarchy and a child in that hierarchy. AFAIK, there is no way to make an attachment parent the armature. Your script would have to be able to parent the armature to control its location and rotation. There are no kinematics built into the avatar's armature. Pulling on a hand or foot doesn't do anything. Every motion of the avatar starts at its root, pelvis. The child motions are generally rotations where the child-bone further down the hierarchy is rotated in relation to the immediate parent. The pelvis is the top parent and the point where avatar motion is applied.

Any sit, chair or dance machine, movs the pelvis in relation to the avatars location in the world. The rest of the animation moves the children of the pelvis. 

Avatars appear to sit when you 'sit on an object' because a default sit animation plays. But, the avatar does not have to appear to sit, you can have the object use any animation in place of a sit animation. You should be able to script your walker as if it were a vehicle... well similar, and have it play a walking animation.

What you're describing at the end there is essentially what the raycaster does. It is pretty much a vehicle. You rez the object with the script and sit on it. It being a "vehicle" creates lots of limitations though, which is why I am asking for a script for an avatar attachment instead.

4 hours ago, ellestones said:

you may atract a scripter if you post your description in Help Wanted

this is doable as you are wanting but isnot a trivial script. It needs a whole replacement movement system that can negate the effects of the normal avatar physics system

a example of the complexities involved is Flight Feather by Argent Stonecutter. Which was made way back in the day to overcome the then limits of avatar flight. Flight Feather is a whole enhancement for the then avatar physics system. I think Flight Feather is still available on his inworld parcel as a curio. Am also pretty sure that Argent has the script as opensource/mod as I remember, and as I haven't looked at that script for at least 6 years now and probably more like 10 years

what your scripter would have to do is make something similar to the Flight Feather system modded for advanced walks. For example, walking up a wall, walking across a ceiling, requires force to be applied to counteract gravity

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

just add

the animation part is the easiest bit. Make a walking animation in each orientation. 0, 90, 180 and 270.  Play as appropriate in each of the 4 states.  0 - Walk on ground. 1 - Walk up the wall. 2 - Walk upside down on ceiling. 3 - Walk down the wall

Create backwards walk animations if wanted for each of the 4 states

the hard part is scripting a own movement engine that can hold/stick the avatar to the 4 state surfaces as it moves. Flight Feather shows the framework of the kinda engine that is needed

Are you sure that's the only option? if the flight feather is open source would modifying it work? It seems like lots for something that seems like it should be simple.

is not simple for the reasons that Nalates mentions

if we don't use a mod of Flight Feather then will have to make a physics engine to move the avatar pretty much in the same way. The next hard part after getting the avatar to move smoothly at walking speed, is detecting which surface is under our feet and then apply forward motion and relative downward force (relative to the surface)

Example. Walking up a wall.  In response to W key presses: Apply Z force to move up. Apply enough X or Y force(depending on direction) to stick to the wall without pushing the avatar thru it

would be good if the SL avatar could do this out of the box yes. It can't tho so we have to make our own physics-based movement engine to enable this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.