Multiple faces causing shadows in world

Sean Heavy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a mesh body that I am trying to cut up and assign materials using Blender 2.79 (primarily for using alphas under clothing). I am using Separate by selection to create smaller mesh pieces. I am assigning materials by selection. Each mesh piece has no more than 8 materials/faces. I have not done any resizing or modifications to any new piece created.

When I upload the entire mesh body, i.e. all the pieces together as one DAE, I can see shadows at the edges of each material/face (in SL Beta grid) even after assigning a skin texture. Seeing horizontal and vertical lines on a thigh or a knee just doesn't look right.

I am using Avastar 2.4 to export the DAE from Blender. I am using the latest official release of Firestorm to upload the DAE. I have also tried the standard SL viewer to upload.

Are there settings that I am missing either when creating the pieces, creating the DAE, or uploading to SL? Are there settings in Firestorm that affect whether I see those shadows or not?

~Sean Heavy

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

No, it looks like this. This is a side view of a leg at about the knee. This is with a single normal Eloh Eliot skin applied to the Mesh Lower Body. I have seen other bodies that I know are cut up and have materials, but they don't do this; only my uploads seem to be doing it. None of these lines show up if the mesh is one big piece and no materials/faces.
~Sean Heavy

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 2.39.36 PM.png

Edited by Sean Heavy
  • Thanks 1

Judging by the ridges on the mesh my first guess would be that you have either not got smooth shading set up in Blender (or have hard edges or some similar setting) and/or are recalculating the normals when you are importing.

You might be able to see the problem by "enabling normals display". This can be found in the Developer menu under Render Metadata. The output can get pretty messy, but based on the image above I would expect to find that you have two normals coming out of each vertex where you see a seam. This is evidence that the normals are not welded properly and it causes the light to reflect at different angles.

Other things to check are on export, I think you can ask the avastar exporter to "weld" normals. It won't help if you have an underlying issue such as hard edges but IIRC it can help in some cases where the exporter gets it wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Beq Janus said:

Judging by the ridges on the mesh my first guess would be that you have either not got smooth shading set up in Blender (or have hard edges or some similar setting) and/or are recalculating the normals when you are importing.

I tried re-uploading to the Beta grid without recalculating normals, and that fixed it!! Yay!
Thank you Beq Janus!!!

~Sean Heavy

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.