Is a conversation between 2 avys in IM with no personal info shared with another party a TOS violat?

Tempest Madrigal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

There is a huge amount of misunderstanding regarding this issue. Boiled down to the simplest terms: 

Is a conversation between two Avy's that shares no personal info other that profile info at most, protected from being shared by the TOS ? and the followup, many of us dealing with people have put up warnings in their profiles stating all convos are logged and the rights to share them will be reserved, the agreement to enter into a conversation with them signifies the other person's agreement. Does this statement help insulate the writer from unnecessary and frivolous reports of TOS violations?

14 answers to this question

Hi, they make that part simple in the community standards.

"Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited."

The content does not matter, you need permission to share conversation logs. The disclaimer things that people put in their profiles are junk, you can ignore them.

We all agreed to the TOS as a condition of using SL, it is a legal contract, you only have to use your common sense to know that you can`t change a legal contract simply by making a note on your profile saying "I have to decided to ignore that clause". BOTH parties have to agree to any amendments & I have never seen any agreement from LL on any of those profile notes.

One day I am going to ask someone who has that 'you consent' in their profile why they have it.  All it smells to me of is drama queen or king.

But to answer your question, no it does not override the TOS or the CS.

You could just as easily put a disclaimer in your profile that reads, "By talking with me you agree that you will not post our conversations without my express written consent."

The only entity which can modify the TOS and the CS is Linden Lab.  Somewhere in all the jargon it does state that.

This has been the subject of many threads.  Here is a link to a prior discussion:  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/Yet-Another-Discussion-of-Chat-Log-Disclaimers/td-p/511565/highlight/true/page/2

Do you mean all the candy in the world at one specific point in time or at any time? Either way it's a lot of candy. And what about all the other people who want candy when you have all of it? Do they have to IM you to get some from you? Can you handle the responsability of owning all the candy in the world (oh yeah, and a pony :))?

- Luc -

Those disclaimers are pretty much rubbish.  If someone discloses a conversation log without consent, disclaimer or not, they can be reported. 

Those reports aren't frivolous,  sharing IM or conversation logs without consent is a violation of the TOS and can be reported like any other violation.

hello .........can someone please tell me what i can do about my ex partner putting nasty things about me in his profile for ppl to see , the thing is after nnot wanting to take him back he is post things like im a nasty wwhore , and i **bleep** buddy ect .........in his alt . please some tell me what i can do about this

That is exactly right, there is no need to specify the timing because my primary goal, to obtain a lot of candy, will be satisfied by either interpretation. If others candy, they can bribe one of the thousands of ponies huddled in my basement, or obtain it on the black market.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.