Friends list bug?

AyelaNewLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm posting this here because I don't know if this is a bug, an unintentional settings change, or any other reasonable explanation; and it doesn't really fit any of the other categories.

Over the last week or so, my friends list has been empty whenever I log in. I also appear offline to a number of my friends, although I'm not sure about the criteria for that yet. Anyone that logs in once I am logged in will appear as normal in my friends list, with no problems. If I IM a friend that I know is online, but is appearing offline because of this issue, then they will appear online the moment I push the IM button, and I get a "xxx is online" message in the IM window. The reverse is true too; if I appear offline to them, and they IM me, I will suddenly appear online to them.

I'd never seen this in nearly 6 months of playing until about a week or so ago; and now it happens every time I log in, across three different viewers (official LL viewer, Firestorm, and Black Dragon). No one I've spoken to is experiencing a similar issue.

Any idea what's causing this, and how I can fix this?

18 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'm posting this here because I don't know if this is a bug, an unintentional settings change, or any other reasonable explanation; and it doesn't really fit any of the other categories.

Over the last week or so, my friends list has been empty whenever I log in. I also appear offline to a number of my friends, although I'm not sure about the criteria for that yet. Anyone that logs in once I am logged in will appear as normal in my friends list, with no problems. If I IM a friend that I know is online, but is appearing offline because of this issue, then they will appear online the moment I push the IM button, and I get a "xxx is online" message in the IM window. The reverse is true too; if I appear offline to them, and they IM me, I will suddenly appear online to them.

I'd never seen this in nearly 6 months of playing until about a week or so ago; and now it happens every time I log in, across three different viewers (official LL viewer, Firestorm, and Black Dragon). No one I've spoken to is experiencing a similar issue.

Any idea what's causing this, and how I can fix this?

I have seen this a few times over the years.  Someone else will tell you the technical details but logging in on a different region usually sorts it and getting the offending region restarted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have seen this a few times over the years.  Someone else will tell you the technical details but logging in on a different region usually sorts it and getting the offending region restarted. 

Can confirm that logging in at a different sim seems to have fixed it; I'll ask my landlord to restart her sim when she's next on. Any idea why the standard Tuesday rolling restarts didn't fix the issue?

5 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Can confirm that logging in at a different sim seems to have fixed it; I'll ask my landlord to restart her sim when she's next on. Any idea why the standard Tuesday rolling restarts didn't fix the issue?

My sim wasn't restarted this week with the usual restarts

• Thanks 1

I'm tempted to ask why anybody would want to keep bugs on their friends list. ;)

But seriously:

As Cindy said, it does happen every now and then. It's not that the list is gone, it's just that it's so awfully slow to load you'll die of old age before you know who your friends are. A sim restart may help, yes. I'm not sure why since the friends list should be a matter between you and the assets server and not the sim server's business at all.

7 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Any idea why the standard Tuesday rolling restarts didn't fix the issue?

There are two possible explanations - according to support Lindens I've asked.

One is that the regular restarts may not be thorough enough to fix all issues. I'm not sure if I got all the technical details right but if I udnerstand correctly, the reason why the servers' performance deteriorate over time is that their memory gradually fills up with old data. A regular rolling restart won't always clear all that data.

The otehr explanation is that one restart a week isn't always enough if the sim is heavily laoded. One Linden told me that there are sims that need to be restarted every day even.

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.